New York, New York: The City That Never Sleeps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

New York, New York. The city that never sleeps. A fast paced exciting vibrant destination, catering for the city lover’s every need. The list of things to do and see in New York is endless; so first things first, buy a map and a red sharpie, circle all the things you most want to do and make it happen!

On your first day in the Big Apple, go and see the Statue of Liberty, one of New York’s most iconic monuments. If you are on a budget in this very expensive city, then take the free Staten Island Ferry over one of the smaller tours that takes you closer, you still get an excellent view, pass by the Brooklyn Bridge, and leave with more money to treat yourself when you hit 5th Avenue!

5Th Avenue; both a shopper’s paradise and a retirement home for overused credit cards. Whether you just want to stroll through midtown Manhattan and soak up the atmosphere of ‘The most expensive street in the world’, or you’ve come to actually shop in one of America’s most prestigious shopping districts, 5th Ave is not to be missed off your trip to New York.

Just make sure you wear comfortable shoes! The iconic yellow taxi cabs are expensive, and take ages getting through the NY traffic, there’s no better way to really see New York than by walking around through it. HCX recommends you invest in some cute and comfy pumps that you can easily spend a whole day in exploring Manhattan, or some decent Hunter wellies if you’re visiting in winter; NY is renowned for its Christmas snow!

If grabbing a slice of the culture is something you want to do, then I highly recommend you don’t pass up the chance to see a show on Broadway; there’s a reason the critics go wild for New York’s theatre scene! Round off an evening of dinner and drinks with a late viewing of Chicago, one of New York’s longest running American musicals, or alternatively see the Jersey Boys – a show that has recently taken London by storm.

Now, if you have ever seen Friends, and in particular the episode where Rachael and Phoebe start jogging, you’ll have an idea already of what Central Park is like! It’s an incredible green haven in the middle of such a fast paced city, full of runners jogging or training for the NY marathon, cyclists, well dressed mothers with matching baby strollers, outdoor exercise classes between the trees, and tourists coveting their oversized cameras, taking thousands of photos of the stunning view’s as New York’s famous skyline rises in the background.

I’ll admit I was one of those stereotypical tourists, but there’s an even better way to see Central Park; for $12 you can rent out a little wooden row-boat from the Loeb Boathouse and spend an afternoon in the sunshine on the water! And when you’re exhausted, the boathouse has a beautiful veranda restaurant overlooking the lake for a picturesque spot of lunch. If rowing isn’t your thing, you could relax on one of their gondola rides or hire a bike for the day.

For a spectacular evening in the Big Apple, as soon as the sun goes down invest in a $25 ticket to the Main Observation Deck of the Empire State Tower, though I suggest you book this in advance.. It may be a little pricey but not for the spectacular views from the top. At night NYC really comes alive, and the breathtaking 360 of the skyscrapers and city lights will leave you speechless. A fantastic way to see the full expanse of New York and definitely not to be forgotten from the ‘to-do’ list.

Next head on down to the brightest part of town; Times Square! Join the crowds and watch it come to life even more than it does during the daytimes. With music, bright lights and an electric atmosphere, its easy to see why New York is known as the city that never sleeps. Take the small child in you to the M&M world for an explosion of colour and chocolate, and let your inner tourist visit all the gift shops, but beware of the smooth-talking street vendors! Be a typical Brit abroad, and buy an iconic I <3 NY tee or two, they are perfect souvenirs, and make great gifts!

New York is definitely an expensive weekend away, but a place everybody should experience at least once in a lifetime. The insatiable atmosphere is addictive. Just remember when you’re planning your trip, there is a Starbucks on every block – so bring a little extra money for all those coffee trips you wont be able to resist!

Photocredits: enjoyourholiday.com; coolspotters.com; themarkhotel.com