Style > Beauty

New Year, Gorgeous You: Your Beauty Resolutions for 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The New Year is the perfect time to start afresh with your beauty routine. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and use the same products day after day, but trying out new make up and hair care can really refresh your look. We have compiled the ultimate list of beauty resolutions for you to follow in 2013. Try out these tips to keep you looking fabulous the whole year through.

I will always use primer before foundation

Primer is one of those products that no one ever seems to know how to use or why they need to use it. However, once you get your hands on some you will wonder how you ever lived without it. On your skin it has a velvety, powder texture. It covers up your pores and minimises facial oil to provide a flawless base on which to apply foundation. Many girls make the mistake of piling on the powder to reduce shine, when in actual fact a base product that reduces oil beneath your foundation is much more effective. We recommend SmashBox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer. It is a little pricey at £25, but you only need to use a pea size amount before applying foundation. It manages to give your skin a completely airbrushed look.The gorgeous texture goes on like a dream and you will be shine-free for the entire night, which is a pretty priceless promise! 

I will give hair powder a try

We predict that hair powder is going to be one of the big new beauty products in 2013, so get ahead of the curve and give it a try. It picks up where dry shampoo left off, as a talcum-powder like product which gives hair hold and volume. Thankfully, girls no longer have to rely on a strong spray of Batiste to mattify and lift their hair. Hair powder gives a better hold and is much finer so it won’t leave white residue in your roots. Toni & Guy do a great hair powder which will give your hair extra oomph on a night out. For a longer lasting hold try RedKen’s version which will give even freshly washed hair a bedhead look all day long. Pick it up in salons for around £11.

I will finally invest in some quality make up brushes

Make up brushes are an area of beauty which is often overlooked. They are the milk and bread of the make-up world – boring to buy but essential. We know it is hard to bring yourself to spend up to £25 on something that no one ever sees but make up brushes really do make a difference to the way your make up looks. There is no point in spending lots of money on great foundations and powders if they are applied badly. A good brush ensures an even coverage of product, meaning you need to use less to create a perfect look. They will also maximise the effectiveness of your make up by making it look professionally applied on the skin. A good set of make-up brushes will last you a long time because the bristles won’t fall out quickly, making them a really worthwhile investment. We love the Real Techniques brush range. The bristles are super soft and easy to clean, and the base is flat which allows you to stand the brush up to avoid getting make up all over your dressing table. The power brush is an essential addition to every make up bag. It is wide enough to give your face a light, even dusting of powder which helps you to avoid the dreaded cakey look.

I will start using conditioning oil on my hair

Covering your hair in oil may not sound very appealing, but neither are split ends and unruly hair! A good hair oil will condition your hair and restore proteins and shine. Although the process may be a little messy once you see the results it will seem worth the hassle. The best time to apply an oil treatment is before the gym, because the body heat you work up will help the oil work its way through your hair follicles. However, looking greasy in the gym isn’t ideal for most girls. In that case work the oil through your hair ten minutes before you shower or leave it in overnight for a deep conditioning treatment. Many hair oils are really expensive but luckily all you really need is a good jar of coconut oil. This wonder oil will smooth skin, lips and hair so it is a great all-rounder product. Even better, it is much cheaper than the branded oils on sale in boots and will be just as conditioning in your hair. Pick up some coconut oil in Holland and Barratt and nourish your hair back to its true glossy potential.

Picture Credits:

Pinterest.com

Smashbox.com