Midterm Getaway to Fiji

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If lazing in hammocks on untouched beaches, exploring coastal paths edging idyllic islands and sipping rum-laced cocktails at sunset is you’re kind of thing – read on. As a small drop of paradise in the expanse of the South Pacific Ocean Fiji provides the whitest of white beaches and the bluest of blue seas. The sheer colors of the landscape generously mean your holiday snaps are pre-Photoshopped by nature, saving you the effort on Instagram when you get home.  With activities such as snorkeling, canoeing, scuba diving, hiking, exploring local villages and dolphin spotting available, you have the option to never be bored in Fiji. Equally, if all you want to do is read the newest Jodi Picoult or Fifty Shades of Grey (again) on a beautiful beach, mojito in hand, then Fiji provides the perfect place to vegetate. 

It is important when planning your stay in Fiji not to dwell too long on the mainland. After flying into Nadi only stay there a night or two to get back on your feet, before journeying out into the real beauty of Fiji – the islands. With hundreds to choose from you are not short of choice, and with an easy hop on hop off system of tour boats travel in-between is not an issue. [pagebreak]

The Fiji islands earn their attractiveness through their unspoiled and compact nature. South Sea Island was the first I visited, and instantly bowled me over by the sheer size. Taking me a grand total of seven minutes to walk around the edge, it made a refreshing contrasst from the boozy brit metropolis’s found on Thai islands such as Koh Phangan. With only wooden huts to stroll in and out of and the sounds of waves to accompany you the Fiji islands really are the ultimate getaway. In some places electricity even cuts out at eleven!

[pagebreak]

However, look at the reputation of each of the islands carefully, if partying till dawn and downing iced cosmos in hot tubs on beaches is what you are looking for, check out islands such as Beachcomber. If you are in want of a more cultural experience see islands such as Wai Lai Lai, where you can while away a day chatting to the women of local villages as they teach you to weave bracelets and baskets.

[pagebreak]

While the landscape itself is stunning I feel I need to reserve a paragraph for the people, for you will never find a kinder and more hospitable local than a Fijian. Their wide smiles, kind conversation and constant greetings of ‘Bula’ make you feel ashamed for any ‘first world’ worries as we call them, for they make any England related problems seem inconsequential when living in paradise. Fiji really is the place to escape.  It will be difficult to adjust to their easy going nature at times, for when asking for timings of boats or trips you will no doubt be met with a shrug, a grin and the affectionate response of ‘fiji time’. But don’t worry, this isn’t rudeness, its just things work more by the position of the sun than GMT out there. Plus everyone is probably high from their marijuana likening drink, Kava.

While not the cheapest location to get to from the UK STA provide some pretty nifty package deals. All-inclusive is the only way to go really, for the islands are so miniscule and underdeveloped that there is often only one option for eating on each of the islands. Check out their current deals here:

http://www.statravel.co.uk/travel-fiji.htm

Take it from me, the people, scenery and range of experiences you can get from the untouched tropical islands make Fiji an experience not to missed. Follow the link if you want to find out life on Fiji time.  

Photocredits: trekearth.com