Her Campus Media
Style > Decor

Making Your Uni Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So, you have made it! You have just arrived in Exeter and are starting to settle into university life. However, at this stage, things probably don’t feel ‘normal’, and your room may not properly feel like yours yet. Whether you’re a fresher or returning student, moving into a new bedroom can be a strange experience, yet with my tips, your room can feel like home in no time!

Lighting

Firstly, let’s talk lights. Often your uni room will just have a main, ceiling light, in many cases without even a light shade! If this is the case, a colourful bedside lamp can be amazing for helping make your room a little cosier. As those dark winter evenings draw nearer, a small lamp can provide the light you need to see at night without being overly blaring like the main ceiling light. Fairy lights can also help make winter nights more snuggly and brighten up those dull, white walls. Just remember to check your contract as some accommodation doesn’t allow this.

Fragrance

Whether it is smells from the kitchen or just the natural smell of a room that has been uninhabited for months, adding your favourite fragrance to your room can transform it! Whilst many places don’t allow candles, reed diffusers or fragrance spheres can be a cheap way to make your room smell amazing! Try to get a scent you are already familiar with from homes as this can also give you comfort if homesickness starts to creep in.

Plants

Another way to improve the smell of your room is with plants. Regardless of whether you have a scented plant or not, having a plant in your room can help purify the air. Furthermore, a bit of nature will help brighten your room, and has been rumoured to improve mood, reducing stress and anxiety. Buying a plant can also be a perfect excuse to get a cute plant pot! This can add a bit more colour and character to your room.  If you are worried about keeping your plants alive, opt for a succulent which are easier to care for yet still provide your room with a bit of life.

Colourful Bedding

To make your room feel particularly homely, cosy bedding is an absolute must! A bright colourful duvet set can really add a little life to your room. You don’t have to look far to find some really pretty ones and a decent price. Alternatively, if you have the same sized bed at uni as at home, bring your own duvet set to really help your room feel like yours! To complete the look, add a couple of cushion and teddy bear blanket to make you bed extra comfy. A blanket can also keep you warm as the weather starts to get colder.  

Bunting

One of the first things I got for my uni room was bunting (which I found on Etsy). This is a lovely way of adding a bit of colour higher up in your room than you would with other decorations. It is also a really cute addition to any bedroom and helps brighten the white walls. 

Photos

Most people’s biggest fear about coming to uni is the thought of leaving behind friends and family at home. However, a couple of photos to decorate your walls can be a lovely reminder of people in your home town. As you add to your memories in Exeter, these photos can reassure you of good times in the future. You can get really creative with the way you display these photos, perhaps sticking them to the wall in fancy shapes, putting them in frame on your desk or bedside table, hanging them from string or pinning them to a memo or notice board.

Posters

As well as photos, you can also decorate your walls with posters. Throughout the year and especially around Fresher’s Week, a poster sale is often held in the Forum, and this can be a great opportunity to rummage through a variety of posters, which are normally, relatively cheap. If you have new housemates, then a trip to find posters can also be a great way of getting to know each other better.

Rugs

Let’s be honest, carpets in uni rooms are not always the nicest. Often stained and with an ugly pattern, these can detract from your efforts to make your room super homely. Therefore, it can help to brighten your floor with a softer, more colourful rug. Rugs can come in all shapes and sizes so regardless of the size of you room, they are really useful to make your room cosier.

Beanbag

Not all rooms will have the space for a bean bag in the corner, but if you have this luxury, it can really help make your room feel a little more like home. Having a bean bag can give you a corner to relax and read a book or watch a film, without having to clamber into bed in the middle of the day! If you are anything like me once you get in bed, you probably won’t get out again so having a bean bag can give you a space to have a break without putting a dent in your productivity.

One of the best things to do after moving into your new room is organise a shopping trip with your housemates, explore what the shops of Exeter have can offer. This way you are looking at your room as a blank canvas which you can craft to make your own.

Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.