Lucy Rose at the Lemon Grove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Last Monday, with the end of exams in sight and summer on its way, Lucy Rose graced the Lemon Grove as part of her ‘Middle of the Bed’ tour to put on a show which would make anyone forget, just for a few hours, that they had that a French vocab test to revise for, or those history essays to memorise. With a critically acclaimed debut album, Like I Used To, under and her belt and Vogue calling her one of 2012’s breakout stars, HCX went along to see what all the fuss was about.

Tipped as one to watch by almost everyone, Lucy Rose’s star is definitely on the rise. Having toured with Bombay Bicycle Club and Noah and the Whale, her folky style and pure voice are hard to resist. I went to see her as an occasional listener, and by the end had decided that I was her new biggest fan. My friends had never heard her music before, and equally when the lights came on, had fallen a little bit in love. Support from Exeter’s own Aidan Simpson, as well as her tour act Peter and Kerry, set the tone for what was going to be a chilled evening filled with great music in the Lemmy which had somehow become significantly less school disco.

One of her first student based tour dates, Lucy Rose admitted to feeling a little apprehensive about whether her slower songs would be popular, or if the show should be more upbeat. The crowd answered for her, showing indignation when one of said slow options was almost cut. Well known singles such as Bikes and Lines were very well received, and her acoustic introduction emphasised that her voice can really hold its own. Whilst there were a few technical difficulties, these didn’t seem to phase her or the audience. Not one of those artists who amazes in records and disappoints in real life, both personality and vocals made Lucy’s show stand out. Throughout her set, audience interaction was strong: recognising a fan she follows on Twitter being a prime example!

The gig was organised by new Exeter based company, Blanket Recordings, which aims to bring great live music to Exeter as well as support the already available talent here. Currently touring the UK, and featuring prominently on the festival scene this summer, there are plenty more chances to experience for yourself the undoubtedly cool and effortless style of Lucy Rose: she also sells home-made tea, named Builder Grey, at her concerts. What’s not to like?!

Photo credits –

Tumblr.com

http://www.umusicpub.co.uk/en-…