Love Lessons #5: What ACTUALLY Happens on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

February 14th is traditionally heralded as the day of love, romance and spontaneity. Unfortunately for me, Valentine’s day generally consists of disappointment and hope that the next year will be more like in the movies. As a hopeless romantic, anticipation of the day rises every year- thoughts from a Ryan Gosling type knocking on my door to declare his love to me, to my boyfriend planning a romantic trip away, crop up in the back of my mind- meaning I often have huge expectations for the romantic day. Unrealistic expectations of the day, maybe, but isn’t what is so great about romantic gestures, the fact that they are not a regular occurrence in every-day life?

[pagebreak]

The Movie Portrayal of Valentine’s Day:

In the films V-day seems as though it has been postponed from February to the height of summer. The sun is shining creating the perfect backdrop for loved up couples.  A naturally stunning girl (completely unaware of her beauty) and funny, cheeky and astonishingly handsome man take the lead.  In these films, flamboyance and huge romantic gestures are often planned making any hopeless romantic like myself go weak at the knees. Spontaneous, secret surprises for the special day are organised with just the odd technical hitch, leaving the girl completely shocked and resulting in those three words being uttered a number of times. These romantic gestures either consist of huge public declarations for one another – think of the Flash Dance sequence in Friends with Benefits or more private and intimate moments which often involve specially created forts/tents and a great deal of candles.

In the films, Valentine’s Day is the day which resolves any problems that a couple may have simply through the production of some specially laid plans, re-affirming the love that the couple have for one another. In the movies, the day is portrayed as the most beautiful day of the year with singletons and those in a relationship being able to enjoy the day to their loved-up hearts content.  Absolute bliss!

[pagebreak]

Valentine’s Day for Humans as Opposed to Actors (equally as unrealistic):

Okay, so I realise that the portrayal of Valentine’s Day in the movies is anything but close to the truth but that doesn’t stop people like myself secretly hoping the day will bring a spontaneous gesture. Even the haters of the special day would admit that a specially planned gesture, tailor- made to you by someone you like/love would be appreciated. The day yields images of huge bouquets of flowers and hand-made cards composed with the perfect balance of romance and banter. A special excursion is often planned for the day such as going to the zoo, seeing a rom-com at the cinema or simply frolicking around the kitchen making a romantic meal.  Images of flour on your nose and cream on your chin have never been so sexy. The day often ends with a romantic walk by the seaside, lying on a towel watching the stars. Star gazing may be a bit far, but you get my drift.

[pagebreak]

What Valentine’s Day is Really Like:

Unfortunately more often than not, Valentine’s day is never as exciting or romantic as you would envisage in your head. Firstly very rarely is it a nice sunny day- in fact any notions of trying to look beautiful on a romantic country walk are squashed by the fact that it is almost always raining-especially in Exeter. A romantic picnic on the beach results in windswept hair, being so cold that you get brain freeze and eating literal SANDwiches. In trying to reproduce the romantic photos that couples spend so much time taking in the films, you end up with mediocre, rather cringy posed pictures that you hope no-one but you and your partner will have the delight of seeing. Don’t even get me started on that romantic day of cooking. In reality, a student has housemates, making it very difficult to prepare a meal, or frolic around the kitchen- and the image you have in your head of you having flour on your nose is NEVER as attractive as you think it is in real life.

Don’t get us wrong, the boy normally has the decency to produce a card- often writing very romantic sentiments inside but an envelope for said card wouldn’t go amiss. If you want spontaneity, do not get too excited. This is a concept I have learnt boys have absolutely no conception of. Spontaneity for them, is deciding to go for a drink when you were meant to go to the cinema. If they do organise something romantic, subtlety is not their strong point. Questions such as “What are you doing at 2 o’clock on Valentine’s day?” or “Do you have a rail card?” or even “What is your address?” normally give the day away, taking the excitement out of the special day. Yes, it is lovely the boy that you love has gone to the effort to arrange something, but it wouldn’t go amiss to be just the slightest bit subtle.

Yes a realistic Valentine’s Day consists of rain, unspontaneous plans and the mandatory card from that secret admirer who rears his head every year- your dad. Hardly romantic but when you think about it often pretty funny.

[pagebreak]

As unexciting as the day may be in real life, the hopeless romantic in me cannot help but get a bit excited about it every year.  Anticipation of what this year may bring butterflies in my stomach and an extra beat in my heart, adding some much needed excitement to fight mid-term blues!

Photo Credits: www.happythingstodo.tumblr.com, www.tumblr.com, www.popartuk.com, www.violala.hyves.nl.