jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love Lessons #2: Moving On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Falling in love is undoubtedly the greatest feeling in the world. There isn’t a pair of shoes so beautiful that purchasing them can beat the warm tingly feeling that appears in your stomach when your phone rings and it’s him. There isn’t a chocolate filled dessert so delicious that devouring it can rival the smile that spreads across your face when you look up and he has just walked into the room. But we have to face the fact that these feelings don’t always last. The relationship that was the centre point of your life can fall apart. The person that felt like a part of you is no longer your best friend and your lover all wrapped up in one. But what you need to remember is that: although your relationship may be ending, your life is not.

We’ve all been through break ups, some perhaps worse than others, but all are accompanied by that gut wrenching pain that seems to twist your stomach, heart and lungs into one teeny tiny ball and then throw it in the trash. Regardless of whether you were the instigator or the victim of the break up, it is still always going to suck. The loss of somebody that you once loved or still love is always going to be painful. Her Campus wishes they could tell you exactly what you can do to remove that pain, but we can’t. It is incurable. However, there are treatments.

In the words of Destiny’s Child, “I’m a survivor”. You lived before he came along and swept you off your feet, and you will live after. So stop going on his Facebook and drowning your keyboard with tears, before you have to call out a technician and start thinking about moving on. Not necessarily with another guy (although if that’s what works for you…), but just moving on with your own life. Yes, having a man to snuggle on cold nights is better than any hot water bottle, but he is not the only important person in your life. If he was, then you need to get back and fix those friendships that you left behind, or get out there and make new ones. A friend is not just for Christmas, but for life, and you should always keep your friendships happy and healthy, no matter how hopelessly in love you are falling. The man may leave, but the friends will not. Remember to keep busy, busy, busy.

Don’t regret the relationship that you had. It may have come to an end, and sometimes those endings are messy. But at one point, you worshipped this guy, you fell asleep thinking of him and woke up eager to see his face. You have to remember the good times in order to leave them behind. This doesn’t mean you will be BFFs straight away give yourself time. If you don’t ever want to be friends, then fine. But you should treasure the fact that you fell in love in the first place; that floating on air feeling just isn’t worth regretting.

Photo Credits: www.tumblr.com/tagged/cuddling%20in%20bed, www.nomoredirtylooks.com, www.shejustnotthatintoyou.com, www.bbc.co.uk/radio2, www.storyflakes.wordpress.com

2nd year English Lit student.