This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Name: Jessica Rayner

Year: 3rd

Course: History and Politics

Hi Jess, we absolutely adore your blog Mismatched Knitwear, what inspired you to start blogging?

Hi Her Campus. Thank you so much! I’ve always loved writing and photography and I really enjoyed reading blogs like The Londoner so I thought that setting up my own would be really fun.  I also wanted to use blogs as a kind of diary while I’m at university so I can look back on my time here in a different way.

A little birdy told us that you had been nominated for a Cosmo Blogging Award, tell us a little more about that?

One of the girls that I’ve met through blogging suggested that I went for the Best Newcomer category, so I thought ‘why not?’ Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I’d actually be shortlisted. Apparently over 43,000 blogs went for it so to be in the final 10 is incredible. Though what to wear to the award ceremony next week is going to be quite the challenge!

Can we still vote?

Unfortunately you can’t, it is all down to the judges now but I do want to thank every single person who has voted for me. As cringe as it sounds, you’ve made this girl’s dream come true.

Tell us a little bit about the event you are holding this weekend? Do you think it would be something that you would do again?

This Saturday I am holding a Bloggers- Meet Up at Lush in town.  I attended my first meet up over the summer and it was so lovely to meet other girls and guys who blog. Unfortunately, while there are lots of bloggers in Exeter, there is a total lack of meet-ups so I decided to hold my own. Fingers crossed it goes well!

Is blogging something that you wish to pursue in the future?

Definitely, it is my dream to work in journalism so from an employment perspective having a successful blog is a fantastic addition to my CV and a really successful blog could also BE a career. However, for the moment, it is just something that I really enjoy.

Do you find it difficult juggling work life with your blog? How do you do it?

Sometimes it can be challenging and so I have to be a little ‘blogging hiatus’ to keep the balance. However, I find writing posts quite relaxing and even therapeutic so it can be a great break from university work.

What three tips would you give to someone who wanted to start a blog?

1.      Write about what you want to know- pick an area that you have an interest in and write about that- be it fashion, beauty or your favourite recipes.

2.      Don’t get disheartened if you don’t get a thousand hits every day, you should be writing for yourself, not for the stats.

3.      Pick an interesting blog name- trust me the kookier, the better.

What are you enjoying most about being back in Exeter?

Since I broke my ankle back in March, after having a little too much fun at the Summer Ball, I have been at home recovering from an operation. Just being in Exeter and walking around is exciting enough- however I cannot complain about being around the corner from Boston Tea Party again.

To find out more about Jess’ blog, follow her on Twitter and Facebook

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.