Jason Wu at New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Few could rival the bold intensity of Jason Wu’s Autumn/Winter 2014 collection for NYFW. Recently named as Creative Director of Hugo Boss, Jason Wu has come a long way since Michelle Obama first donned his stunning gown at the Presidential Inauguration several years ago. “Unflustered beauty” was the self-titled inspiration for his androgynous approach to glamorous dressing. The collection was both polished and sophisticated and managed to remain boldly feminine. The palette was rich, moving through a darker spectrum of black, silver, chestnut and petrol blue. Clean-cut lines and long silhouettes were featured in the majority of the pieces, but each look was somehow more impressive and iconic than the last.

Adriana Lima opened the show featuring the first of a series of mannishly tailored suits.

The elongated, flowing trousers struck the perfect balance, keeping the look effortlessly elegant whilst accommodating his tough glamour approach to sophisticated dressing. Wu avoids repetition by alternating between the wide-cut trouser and a practical midi length skirt, finishing the look with a classic T-bar shoe, adding a distinctly forties feel to the tailoring.

A myriad of sinuous gowns were next on the agenda, adorned with a variety of textures and cuts.

Each gown was uniquely sculpted; some gowns featured twists at the neck or waist, whilst others were decidedly more simplistic, yet unfailingly classy. The unexpected drapes and folds in the materials of the dresses showcased Wu’s innovative designs and ability to create an understated sexy and yet undoubtedly timeless collection.

Wu finished off a number of looks with oversized parkas and pea coats, recalling once more the masculine features of this collection. The richly feminine gowns counterbalanced by the toughened outerwear marks Wu’s novel approach to female tailoring. The stripped-back luxury of this austere and sophisticated collection marks Wu’s show as a definite stand out for NYFW.

Photo Credits: WWW.VOGUE.COM