This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Name: Jane Williams

Year: 2nd

Course: History

What is Girl Meets Dress?

Girl Meets Dress is an online store, that provides women everywhere with the opportunity to hire designer dresses. They have over 4,000 styles on their site, which means that you can find a dress for every occasion – from weddings, to awards nights, to balls, or even just a night out with the girls. What’s great about them is that they buy in the dresses, so that the rental price is really affordable – a lot of their dresses are £29 for a 2 night hire, which means that you can wear beautiful styles by famous designers without spending all of your hard earned cash!

What is the Student Ambassador scheme?

Girl Meets Dress’ Ambassador Scheme is a program that students all over the UK can enter, to start working with the brand in order to promote awareness on University Campus.  The company provides you with flyers, exclusive discounts and dresses to help you promote the brand amongst your friends and networks. It’s a great way of learning the ropes of business, marketing, advertising, partnerships – all sorts really! And for self starters who want to get ahead, it’s a really great way of gaining valuable experience that will help you build your career before leaving university.

How and why did you get involved?

I applied for the Girl Meets Dress Ambassador Program through their online application form, which can be found here. They then send you all of the information you need, and support you through the entire process so that you can start organising your promotions straight away.

For me it looked like a great way of getting involved with fashion and business, which is ultimately what I want to do for a career. Now that I’m doing it, it’s proved to be much more, so I’m really glad I gave it a go.

Why do you think others should get involved?

Anyone who wants to experience something more than the normal university experience should get involved. It’s a huge leg up in the career world, and will be great for anyone looking to get ahead in business or fashion as soon as they finish uni. It’s also really good fun, and allows you to starting building up your networks on campus and within the professional industry.

What has been your best experience at GMD?

My favourite part of being an Ambassador is the knowledge that you’re promoting a brilliant new business with a great concept. We also get a great discount of the dresses (which is great when you’re coming up to Ball Season!).

Do you have a favourite dress on the website?

Of course! I LOVE Alexander McQueen knit dresses that Girl Meets Dress has at the moment. There’s quite a few so it’s hard to choose one favourite, but if I had to I would pick the Fire Knit Dress It’s really striking, without being too revealing – and I think the style is really complimentary to all shapes and sizes, so it’s really versatile. Can’t wait to try it on!

Who do you think has the best red carpet style?

I think Jennifer Lawrence always looks great – with a striking but elegant style.  She’s very unique too, which is something I really try to emulate, especially nowadays when everyone seems to wear the same sort of things. I love to try something new, but it’s always tricky to get it right, and I think Jennifer always manages this really well.

If you could pick a dress a celebrity wore at a red carpet event that you wish you could wear and that was on GMD, which would it be?

I LOVE the new designer ‘Badgley Mischka’ that Girl Meets Dress has got in from the USA. It’s not really available over here at all, which means all of the styles are really unique. And their Odessa Peplum Gown is so stunning. Vanessa White from the Saturdays wore it recently to a Red Carpet Event – I can’t wait to follow in her footsteps and wear it out too!

If you’d like to apply for Student Ambassador for Girl Meets Dress:

Ambassadors can apply through the Girl Meets Dress website  and will be selected based on leadership ability, interests in marketing and public relations, and entrepreneurial skills. To learn more about bringing Girl Meets Dress to your campus, contact: milly@girlmeetsdress.com