Introducing Macaw Designs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Macaw Designs is shiny, brand new company that has just launched, and that we at HCX love. They make beautiful laptop, phone, tablet and glasses cases in a variety of fabrics – and you can even design your own! What’s better than a great purchase for the new term? The fact that this company also helps The Magic Carpet, a local Exeter based charity, so you don’t even have to feel guilty about your purchases. Who said that library fashion was restricted to what you’re wearing? It’s all about your laptop and your tablet’s fashion now!

Ali Gillum, a 3rd year student at Exeter University, started the company last year when she couldn’t find a laptop case that she liked…and that she could afford! Since all her family and friends loved the cases that she made (as they were so gorgeous and well made) they all started asking for some…and then so did their friends…and their friend’s friend’s! Now, there’s just too much for her to do on her own, but she’s managed to get a wonderful factory in Somerset to make her designs into real live products for her. Ali says that “our cases are made with love. Each and every case is handmade by talented craftsmen and women, ensuring that your Macaw Designs case is truly beautiful”.

The Launch Collections

We’ve had a good look at the Macaw Designs launch collections, and we have to say, they’re fabulous!

The Ruby Collection is based on the loveable, outgoing and social parrot, and is made of cream material with pink polka dots. It’s very cute and simple, and looks fabulous! This is a definite favourite of our President, Lauren. If pink isn’t your thing, you might be more interested in the Harlequin Collection, which is made out of blue gingham with a fun red ribbon to tie it. Looking for something a little more floral? In that case, you’ll love the Calico Collection which is a green fabric with pretty pink flowers on it. Cute doesn’t even cover this collection – it’s so much more! Last but by no means least, there’s the Shamrock collection which we think is the most fun collection yet. Yellow, green, pink and blue stripes come together to make a fantastic design that will make a real statement in the library!

Be sure to check out the great new Macaw website where you can buy one of their designs, or you can even make your own! In MyCaw you’re given the tools with their online custom builder, so you can make your cases personal to you. We’re already thinking of an HCX design… Watch this space!

The Charity

Ali has also set up The Macaw Foundation as well as working with The Magic Carpet, so charity really is a big part of this brand. As well as donating 10% of the profits to The Magic Carpet, The Macaw Foundation organises arts and crafts workshops for young people in Exeter. So not only does this give people a chance to come together to have fun making things, but it also promotes “art for health”, a concept which is very important to Ali and Macaw.

And what does every launch need? A party to celebrate, of course! HCX and Macaw are teaming up to bring you the Macaw Designs Launch Event. This night is going to be great fun, a chance to meet Macaw and HCX, to see the designs and to purchase them too if you like. Coming soon..!

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.