Style > Beauty

In My Make Up Bag: Products that won’t break the bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For students, make up is often something that on top of bills, food and social life, really racks up the bank statement. But, there are many affordable products out there which do the same job as the high-end products for half the price. I’m going to take you through some of the most affordable products in my make up bag and where you can find them – happy shopping! 

Go Fruity Eau De Toilette 30ML

I recently bought this at Zara in town before going on a weekend getaway. Trips abroad often mean limited liquid products, but this pocket-sized perfume was perfect for having a sweet smell within the airport limits. Zara do a really affordable range of scents in different sizes. This particular scent is gorgeous, and it really helps spruce up the outfit. Perfect for the days your covered in layers and the days when the sun is out shining! 

Price: £7.99 

Brushworks Eyelash Curler 

I love making my eyes pop on a night out by curling my eye lashes. It really helps my other eye make-up stand out and is a simple way of perfecting a look. This curler is also a really good size for fitting in make-up bags for trips away so it’s definitely one of my essentials.  

Price: £3.49

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer

Concealer is something I really struggled to find for a good price that matched my skin tone and lasted for a long time. I came across Collection’s one and I’ve never turned back. For something I typically use every day I think this is one of the best and affordable products I have in my makeup bag. It often lasts on my eyes the whole day and really helps me feel better when I’ve not slept well and need to go out. 

Price: £4.49

Hydrocolloid Spot Patches by Beauty Bay

These are actually a life saver for someone like me who struggles with spots and skincare. I bought these on a whim when trying out different products and gels to help cover up spots. You simply pop a sticker on (preferably overnight) and in the morning it has extracted all the impurities and leaves you with small and easy mark to cover up with concealer. They come in a pale colour too so you can wear them out if you would rather.

Price: £6.50 for 72 stickers 

Nivea Lip Balm – Pearly Shine

This lip balm is great for two main dual purposes. 

1 – It keeps your lips hydrated in the sun and avoids the cracks which happen every winter.

2- It doubles up as a lush lipstick/tint for a little nude/pink boost. So, if your someone like me who doesn’t really wear lipstick, it is great for all occasions! 

Price: £2.75 

Barry M Lip Liner 

These lip liners are gorgeous for making your lipstick or gloss pop on a night out. Barry M products vary in price, but this is definitely one I would encourage you to buy. I use the blush one, but they come in a range of shades and colours to fit all your lipstick desires. You can also blend them in with your gloss/lipstick to create your own colours too. Available at both Boots and Superdrug

Price: Between £1.99-3.49

Revolution Duo Brow Definer Pencil 

Brows – the most difficult and annoying part of makeup for me. I can just never seem to get them right. But, using this definer pencil has really helped me out. What I love about this is that it is so easy to use! It helps to add that bit of colour and brush out the brows before application. Also, for someone who doesn’t wear makeup too often, the price is great for just adding that little touch up to the eyes without breaking the bank. 

Price: Between £2.40-3.00

Megan Barber

Exeter '23

22 years old studying History. You can find me eating, reading or planning my next adventure...