This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whilst we may not be short of restaurants to venture to in Exeter, the overwhelming foody theme is dominated by chains. Whilst there’s nothing wrong (in fact there’s a lot right) with an evening in Pizza Express, there’s something slightly more exciting about a joint that’s unique to the South West. Hubbox, situated at 183 Sidwell Street, specialises in gourmet burgers, hot dogs and beers, and is not a far cry from the sort of burger joints that have been increasingly popping up across London in the last year. Her Campus obviously had to check out these burgers and we were not disappointed.

Between us we ordered meat, fish and veggie options, all of which were very reasonably priced. The kids meals are only £5, yet more than enough portion for the average gal visiting. We also sampled the Mack Daddy, which is the only burger exclusive to the Exeter branch and the Big Kahuna… (two 4oz burgers, BBQ pulled pork, Swiss cheese and onion rings) and oh boy were they good. The beef patties were seriously juicy, without being sloppy and the buns were soft, yet strong enough to maintain all burger-y integrity. Combinations such as mackerel fillet, beetroot jam and horseradish mayonnaise may initially seem pretty quirky, but the team behind these burger inventions know what they’re doing and this sort of offering is definitely part of Hubbox’s charm. See picture below for mackerel related deliciousness…

There’s often a queue outside, but turn-around is quick and it’s definitely worth the wait.  Although the quote on the website about letting the humans that work there know if there’s a problem, rather than trip advisor seems a little aggressive, the staff were seriously friendly in real life. The only thing Her Campus wishes is that it would open past 9 as this would make the world’s best post TP or Arena food. What we checked out is only a tiny snippet of the menu and Hub Box’s full range of offerings can be seen online here…  (having seen the chilli cheesy fries, our table had serious order regret!) Also, the St Ives branch offers a breakfast menu, so here’s hoping that Exeter will pick up breakfasts soon too so that we can’t really justify not visiting again.

Picture credits: Author’s own