This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So gals, summer is coming to a close and you’re likely reminiscing on the holiday snaps of you looking cracking with a dark tan, beach curls and sun-kissed hair. These are starting to fade as you look towards autumn and its cold, shorter nights, bonfires and that rainy air which seems to completely dry out your skin (sad face).

But look no further as it is so possible to drag out that summer look through to autumn. Here are a few products which I find super useful in upkeeping that perfect beachy look…

TAN

Maybe it’s the Irish in me, or maybe it’s the Northern – but tanning became an (unfortunately quite expensive) addiction for me a while ago. I like to keep up an all-year round tan just because I feel it helps me look more healthy and glowing… my recommendations go to:

Bondi Sands

For those already addicted to the tan life and used to a dark tone, Ultra Dark Bondi Sands is perfect for summer, but to nail the transition into autumn, try the Dark / Medium.

Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam Dark 200ml £14.99 from Superdrug

Bondi Sands Liquid Gold

This little heaven-in-a-bottle gives a deeper, more summery glow. I think it is more of a natural looking dark beach tan compared to the Ultra Dark as the Liquid Gold makes you appear like you’ve been away on holiday for a good month or two.

Bondi Sands Liquid Gold Self Tanning Foam – £14.99 from Superdrug

Dove DermaSpa

Dove’s gradual tanner is an absolute life saver when you don’t want to worry about streaks or applying with a mitt, and you can control how dark you go! It also has a double purpose of being a moisturiser too!

Dove DermaSpa Summer Revived Medium – Dark Lotion 200ml £3.89 (offer!) from Boots

PEARLY WHITES

White teeth are 100% the best beauty hack. Whiter teeth make you appear more tanned, and a tan definitely brings out the white – a double whammy!

I have sworn by the effects that Pearl Drops whitening tooth polish brings for over five years now. Their products have also never caused any sensitivity in my teeth (but I use handy Sensodyne toothpaste alongside it to make sure sensitivity is avoided)

All of their products range to up to around £3.50 at Superdrug.

For a good starting point, try out Pearl Drops Flawless White 25ml (£1.99 from Superdrug) and see what you think.

For a longer-lasting, zero upkeep whitening boost I recommend Crest 3D Professional Effects Whitestrips LUXE. I tried these last summer and my teeth have been perfectly white ever since!

They are on the pricey side (£54.99 for 40 strips from ukteethwhitening.com) but I would say with the minimal amount of maintenance my teeth required after using these, I would 100% recommend them.

HAIR

For maintaining that sun-bleached blonde look highlights are perfect, but for a more affordable at home kit, John Frieda ‘sheer blonde’ collection is great at gradually lightening already blonde hair.

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo 250ml – £6.99 from Boots

This shampoo can be used in conjunction with the conditioner and the spray (both same price) which contains a tad of ammonia which bleaches the hair. Used with heat tools, it gradually lightens in 3-5 uses, creating natural-looking highlights.

I used this before I committed to getting highlights done at the salon, just because it’s a cheaper alternative and there’s the added benefit that you can control how light you go with each use.

BEACH CURLS

I personally swear by Bumble and Bumble’s collection; their curl cream is on the pricey side at £24, but all of their products are cruelty free, and free from parabens!

Parabens are particularly bad for us as these shelf-life prolonging preservatives are able to penetrate the skin, and are thought to be linked to causing cancers. They also disrupt our hormone balance and are bad for the environment – a definite avoid!

Bumble and Bumble Curl Defining Crème – £24 from Boots

For a cheaper, pick-me-up alternative Schwarzkopf got2b Beach Matt Texturizing Salt Spray (£4.19 from Boots) gives those luscious beachy waves in just a couple of sprays.

SUMMER COLOURS IN YOUR AUTUMN WARDROBE

Whites and any colour from the lighter palette are perfect for carrying that summer vibe through to autumn and bring out tanned skin.

I always head to Zara’s Trafaluc collection for white and cream coloured blouses, white jeans and light blue denims. Alternatively, get on Depop and have a browse!

JEWELLERY 

Any shiny jewellery will really make that smooth tanned skin pop, but gold really is the secret to pulling out that beachy summer skin tone. Gold rings in particular, with a light coloured nail polish.

LIGHTER SCENTS

Scents are so important: they create an instant mood when you walk into a room. My go to perfume is Thierry Mugler’s Alien and I love it, but it seems to carry a wintery mood with it – its strong musky, woody scent doesn’t fit the light summer vibe I want to carry through into early autumn.

So I swapped this scent for a summery version. Mugler Alien Eau Extraordinaire has the same familiarity I like of the original Alien scent, but is much lighter, floral and sweet – perfect! Why not swap your stronger wintery perfume for a lighter choice.

Mugler Alien Eau Extraordinaire 30 ml – £24.99 (offer!) from theperfumeshop.com

SKIN SAVERS

Drying out in the autumn chill? Liz Earle is my ultimate moisturiser – rich in natural actives like avocado oil, and natural antioxidants, it does the job at keeping your face smooth in the bad weather. Even better, it comes for either Normal/Combination, Dry/Sensitive, Combination/Oily skin types.

In most John Lewis stores they stock Liz Earle so if you’re unsure which skin type you are they will be sure to tell you.

Skin Repair Moisturiser Normal/Combination 50ml – £22 – from uk.lizearle.com

On a student budget I find that Simple’s Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser absolutely does the job as well. It is non-oily, has full coverage but doesn’t feel heavy on your skin so make-up can be applied immediately afterwards without that clammy skin feel.

Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser 125ml – £4.29 from Boots

The best tip of all for hydrating skin in autumn is to drink plenty of water! Aim for 2 litres a day (that’s 8 glasses of water). It is recommended to sip on water constantly throughout the day, even when not thirsty for glowing, hydrated skin.

A University of Exeter student studying Human Geography.
Laura Wiles

Exeter '20

I'm a fourth year studying Law at Exeter University. I am very interested in our current cultural, social and political climate and want to explore it here. This is an amazing space that allows women all over the world a voice that is loud and proud! I am a feminist and refuse to see this as something to hide or play down - I want to use my writing to encourage other people of all genders and backgrounds to do the same.