How To Handle Your Housemates’ Boyfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Despite the minor disputes about when to put the heating on or who used the last roll of toilet paper, there is no denying that moving from university halls to a student house is definitely an upgrade. You no longer have to be wary of that weird flatmate who kept all of her kitchen utensils (yes even the large knives) in her room, or pretend to take a phone call every time you see that boy on the floor below that you accidently slept with after a glass (or bottle) too many of Timepiece’s finest rosé.

You are now a mature adult paying rent for your very own home. It is your responsibility to clean your own room (no more weekly cleaners like those in Holland Hall were graced with). It is your choice as to whether to have marmite with your pasta or stir fry with your burgers; these are your friends, they won’t judge. It is your duty to wear pyjamas all day if you want to without having to worry about those rogue fire alarms that the university like to plague you with. 

It’s a picture of absolute bliss; just you and your chosen favourite pals all hanging out together all day long. You can be completely comfortable and relaxed surrounded by those you love. 

Unfortunately, this is not the Happy Ever After that you may have hoped for. The domestic bliss of your student home can easily be shaken, and ruined, by the arrival of a university boyfriend. Those housemates with long distance lovers are less of a problem; you can hardly take offence at somebody you see once a month. But those that are dating other students are a whole different story. The boyfriends start to creep up on you slowly, first staying over just once a week, then twice, then suddenly it’s every evening… You find yourself seeing them more than you see the girl who they’re dating

You have to put up with them hogging the shower when you have a 9am to rush to. You have to hold back a sigh when you see they’ve left the toilet seat up yet again. You have to bite your tongue when they finish your milk. You have to buy ear plugs so that you can block out the sounds of them having sex. You have to perch on the arm of the sofa to watch Made In Chelsea as they lie sprawled across each other. You need to put a stop to this before it’s too late – I know a guy who moved his girlfriend into his student house without telling his housemates until a month later.

So here are our top five tips of how to deal with housemates’ boyfriends without losing your housemate too:

1. Make friends with the guy – telling somebody to use their girlfriend’s toothpaste and not yours sounds a lot less anal when you have your own friendship with him.

2. Strength in numbers – if your other housemates are around to talk to then dealing with two people making out in the corner can be a lot funnier and a lot less annoying.

3. Use it to your advantage – it can be purely coincidental that you only ever notice that the light bulb needs changing or the bins need emptying when he’s around.

4. Talk to her – if it really is getting on your nerves that he uses your stuff or that he’s around 24/7 then say something; you became friends for a reason and you don’t want to lose that.

5. And finally, payback can be a bitch – when you next bring a guy back or your boyfriend comes to stay, then let loose and enjoy yourself. There is nothing like a taste of her own medicine for someone to learn the hard way how thin those walls really are. 

Photo Credits: www.weheartit.com 

2nd year English Lit student.