This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This is not the year any of us we were expecting, and I certainly didn’t think it would end up effecting Halloween. I have come up with a few ideas to make Halloween fun this year, even if you’re stuck in quarantine (spooky hospital themed house party with your flat anyone?!) 

1. Dress up anyway. I mean why not?! If you live in a house with other students there’s no rule that says you can’t party with people you already live with (please do adhere to government guidelines). Spend some time planning costume ideas as a group. There are so many costume ideas out there; I got my inspiration from Pinterest. You could go as the Spice Girls, Teletubbies, sassy witches, your favourite chocolate bar – the possibilities are endless and if you’re just at home with housemates why not go OTT! 

2. If you can get out to buy one, carve a pumpkin. Not only is this a Halloween staple, but it is also one of the most fun things you can do around Halloween. Why not make it a competition: who can carve the best pumpkin in an hour? (Just be careful with the knives!) 

3. Make your own potions. And by potions I mean drinks. There are so many ideas out there but some of my favorites include pumpkin lattes and vodka shots in syringes. Another super fun trick I learnt is to fill a plastic glove with water, freeze it, so when you take it out, you have a floating ice hand to put in your punch bowl. 

1. Get creative in the kitchen. Making comforting pumpkin soup or creepy bat cupcakes will definitely get you in the mood for Halloween. This year I am making a simple but effective bake: spider cookies. First make up a batch of your favourite cookie mix, making sure some chocolate chips are on the top. The chips will make the body of your spider. Once cool, melt some milk and white chocolate separately and place into two piping bags with the smallest nozzle you can find. With the milk chocolate, add some legs to the spider’s body, and then eyes with the white chocolate. Ta-da! 

2. Watch a Halloween movie. It is the start of cozy blanket and hot drink season, so why not get comfortable with a big blanket and put on a seasonal film. If you don’t like scary films, but still fancy something semi-spooky, I would recommend Practical Magic or Hocus Pockus. If you do like scary films, this is honestly your time to shine! (I will be watching Practical Magic…)

While this isn’t the Halloween any of us were hoping for, I hope this gives you some ideas of things you can do whilst at home with your house this year. Make the most of the occasion because I am hoping next year we can all go out and do what we really want! 

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!