This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With only a few weeks left of term I’m sure we are all excited for the Christmas break – but with the festive season comes the festive food, and the inevitable festive weight gain. Of course we all like to indulge over Christmas, but Her Campus Exeter has provided a few tips to help you stay healthy this Christmas. 

1.       Plan Ahead

If you know you are going out for food or having a big family meal, don’t go hungry – you will be more likely to binge and consume a colossal amount of calories.  So tip one: eat small portions throughout the day full of lean proteins and vegetables to keep you satisfied before the meal.   

2.      Don’t Get Lazy

I know we are all looking forward to relaxing after the first term of studying hard, but to avoid the dreaded weight gain it’s important to combat those extra calories you’re consuming. Continue exercising, walk the dog or just help around the house – I’m sure your parents will appreciate the help! Tip two: just keep moving!

3.      Keep Track

Be sure that you don’t forget how many odd few biscuits or mince pies you’re consuming here and there – it all adds up. Maybe write a list or even calorie count if that helps, and this will stop you from mindlessly gorging on all the wrong things. Tip three is simple: be aware of what you are eating.

4.       Avoid the Temptation

“Out of sight, out of mind” is key when dealing with temptation. If you are fancying something sweet, by all means get a chocolate or two, but we all know that if they are sat in front of you, it takes the will power of a Saint to not grab one after another… after another… after another. If they are out on show, grab the desired item and move far, far away from the tin.

5.       Enjoy Christmas Day

Don’t try to limit yourself too much on the day – enjoy your prawn cocktail and bucks fizz, the Christmas dinner, go ahead and try the numerous different deserts that all family members seem to bring and, most importantly, drink a little too much mulled wine. It’s a celebration after all and Her Campus Exeter says: INDUGLE, one day won’t hurt!

Picture Credits: www.pinterest.com

In my third year studying biological sciences - I can't believe it's almost over!