ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Here Comes The Sun – Top Tips For Staying Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With the sun just attempting to peek out from behind the clouds, and the last few weeks of uni fast approaching, summer feels like it’s finally near! And for so many of us, summer means having a golden tan. And why wouldn’t you want one? Wearing skimpier clothes can be daunting enough without having to worry about your pasty limbs, and a tan evokes memories of palm trees and white, sandy beaches. But for 10,000 people every year, that sun soaked skin results in being diagnosed with malignant melanoma skin cancer

35 people every day are diagnosed with skin cancer, with more than two 15-34 year olds diagnosed each day. So why is skin cancer on the rise? Sun exposure is the main cause of this form of cancer, and with the combination of overseas travel being more accessible than ever, and images of tanned celebrities becoming ubiquitous, it is unsurprising that young people are seeking to emulate this look and spend their holidays baking in the sun. And even when a sun-filled holiday is off the cards, the use of sunbeds in the UK is increasingly as normal as popping in for a quick trim at the hairdressers. More than a quarter of a million children aged 11-17 are regular sunbed users, which is increased to 50 per cent of 15 to 17 year old girls in Liverpool and Sunderland. This worrying trend hints why skin cancer is mounting, particularly amongst the young.

Thankfully, prevention of skin cancer is pretty simple! Sunburn can double your risk of skin cancer, so try to avoid the sun when it is at its most intense, and always wear sun cream of at least factor 15, if not higher. There are so many stylish hats and sunglasses on the market, you’d be silly not to take advantage; not only do they look great, you will be protecting yourself from the sun at the same time- it’s a win win! People with fair skin or lots of freckles or moles are most at risk from this form of cancer, so if you were lucky enough to be born with alabaster skin, make sure you take particular care in the sun. If you really can’t do without that tan, fake it! Self-tanners are the safe, easy way of obtaining a golden glow- some sun-creams even come with a tinted cream, so you can protect your skin whilst looking bronzed.

If you have had a big day out in the sun, the ways to check you’re in the clear are easy. Just follow these few quick steps and put your mind at rest!

Be aware of how your skin normally looks. Then if there are any abnormalities, you can be first off the mark.

-Skin cancer can look like a spot or sore, which doesn’t heal after 4 weeks, and continues to itch, bleed or hurt. Equally it might look like an ulcer, which also hasn’t gone away after a month. A very early form of skin cancer can appear like an itchy red mark, particularly in the moist areas of your body, or a white patch in your mouth.

-The British Association of Dermatology (BAD) recommends the ABCD –Easy method to ensure your moles are healthy and the right shape after a day of sun worshipping:

Asymmetry – the two halves of the area may differ in shape

Border – the edges of the area may be irregular or blurred, and sometimes show notches

Colour – this may be uneven. Different shades of black, brown and pink may be seen

Diameter – most melanomas are at least 6mm in diameter. Report any change in size, shape or diameter to your doctor

Expert – if in doubt, check it out! If your GP is concerned about your skin, make sure you see a Consultant Dermatologist, the person with most expertise to diagnose a skin cancer. Your GP can refer you via the NHS.

After all your hard work this year, you deserve to relax in all the great outdoors Exeter has to offer, and enjoying the warm weather doesn’t need to be a minefield of panic. Simply follow our top tips and you can appreciate the sun and still be healthy- it’s as easy as ABCDE!

Image Credits: mimmodv.wordpress.com, hellomagazine.com