A Healthy Way to Fill the Gap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Eating healthily can definitely be a challenge. You can have all the best intentions- you remember to eat a protein filled breakfast, you crunch on some green stuff for lunch and your dinner would make Gillian McKeith proud. No, it’s often the long stretches of time between meals that is the biggest hurdle for the conscientious diner. Growing up you were always told not to have another biscuit ‘or you won’t eat your tea!’ and we are often led to believe that three meals a day is the only way. However, snacking has been shown to help you stay slim by curbing hunger and reducing your overall calorie intake at meals. Cindy Whitmarsh, a nutritionist to the stars, says “healthy snacking is the key to a speedy metabolism, weight loss, energy and endurance.” In short, if you’re hungry, don’t deny yourself, it’s not eating between meals that is the issue, it’s simply the type of snacks you munch on. The following are some great ideas for snacks that are not just good for you, but taste amazing as well!

Crisps are pretty damn good, aren’t they? Unfortunately, they are not always the most nutritious foods out there. Instead, why not try a handful of low fat popcorn, just as good at satisfying that salty craving but with far less calories and fats. Whole wheat pretzels definitely fill the hole, or opt for flavoured rice cakes or a plain one with a fab topping like guacamole, a delicious and underrated snack. However, if crisps are the only way forward, you can buy amazing vegetable crisps, which taste even better than your bog standard packet, and are far better for you!

If savoury food is the only way forward, you could eat vegetables with a great dip like hummus or a delicious soup. Miso soup is the best one to choose, as it is full of antioxidants and is rich in B vitamins, which could improve concentration. Protein is also a good call, as this food group will help keep you fuller for far longer than its carbohydrate filled cousins. Chicken or turkey slices are fab pick me ups. And if you just can’t quit the fizzy stuff, try fruit juice with fizzy water. It really does taste like Appletiser.
It probably sounds a little obvious, but fruit is definitely one of the best between meal nibbles to choose. However, if fruit really isn’t your thing, here are some easy ways to put a bit of variety into even the most simple of produce. A fruit smoothie is a simple and tasty way of eating lots of the good stuff in one go, simple chuck everything in a blender and you’re away. Or why not give dipping apples in peanut butter a go? Suddenly those Granny Smiths are looking a little more enticing! A few pieces of dried fruit, like apricots or bananas can also taste amazing. Or for something a little different, put some grapes in the freezer for a delicious icy snack.

Sitting down with a tub of Ben and Jerry’s is undoubtedly high up in every girls’ perfect night in. Unfortunately, although great every once in a while, ice cream is high in everything we know we shouldn’t eat regularly! Instead, why not opt for frozen yoghurt with some amazing toppings like raisins or dried cereal or swirl some honey for an extra boost of sweetness. Sorbet is also a great way of getting a sugar boost without a boost to the waistline.

Chocolate has a pretty bad reputation in the past. Granted, choosing a family sized bar or a caramel filled piece isn’t very healthy, but you can eat chocolate as a healthy snack option and part of a balanced diet. Dark chocolate, containing at least 70 per cent cocoa solids is a good source of antioxidants. Dark chocolate has also been shown to reduce high blood pressure, a condition known as the ‘silent killer’. Plus chocolate makes us feel good! An entire section of the diet industry argues that if you’re craving chocolate, the worst thing you can do is deny yourself. A couple of squares of high-quality dark chocolate is a good option, but if that won’t do it, try fun-sized milk chocolate bars.

A couple of tips for sensible snacking: opt for smaller sized packets. If the sachet is big, you are far more likely to eat too much in one sitting. Similarly, try to savour your food slowly– it can take the stomach 20 minutes to register that you’ve eaten. Bite sized snacks may not be the best idea. Also you can have all the best intentions in the world, but the second you are faced with a two hour lecture, suddenly a fat filled boost looks like a great idea. To try and avoid these cravings, you could put some healthier snacks in your bag for when you are on the go, which is a cheaper option too- win win!

Try any of these ideas and you will be sure to not only feel fuller and healthier, but hopefully enjoy eating tasty, nutritious food!

Image credits: insiderbarcelona.com, sheknows.com

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.