‘He Offered Her The World, She Said She Had Her Own’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Making the transition from being in a relationship to being single is something that people have struggled with throughout history, and yet countless poets, writers and musicians have still not managed to find the words to heal the pain of a broken heart. 

There is no quick, simple guide to getting over a break up but at Her Campus, we’re here to tell you that the key to moving on is to have a positive outlook.

Look forward and not backwards. Your past is a part of who you are so if you need to spend time figuring this out then let yourself. But you also have to remember that there is so much to be excited about in your future! So plan a trip, organise a big night out and give yourself something to look forward to!

Make yourself an independent woman playlist! Give yourself a new, upbeat soundtrack to help you through. Some of our personal favourites are Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive, Florence & The Machine’s Shake It Out, Whitney’s It’s Not Right But It’s Okay and Shania Twain’s Man! I Feel Like  A Woman.  Remind yourself that you are a strong, independent woman and you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Be who you want to be. University is a great place to discover new hobbies, make friends with interesting people and work out what sort of person you want to be. And there is honestly no better time to do this than when you’re single and can focus 100% on yourself.  Use your freedom to be whoever you want to be and try things you never thought you would try. Join a new society, get involved with a charity or try out Body Soc’s Zumba classes (after all, exercise is proven to release endorphins!). Having a positive outlook and being excited about new things is half the battle.

Remember why you are here. Ultimately, you came to Exeter because you wanted a good degree. Whether your degree is going to help you with the next steps you have planned for the future, or you came here to learn more about the subject you love, don’t lose sight of your primary goal.

Be happy. Stop worrying about whether or not you are happy, and just let it be.

This sounds a bit ridiculous but if you are constantly thinking about how you are feeling, then it is hard to just be happy. Rather than spending your time thinking about feeling sad, just do little things that make you happy.  The less time you spend thinking about feeling sad, the less you feel sad. Simple.

It’s not always easy to stay positive, but however you are feeling today remember to get up, dress up and show up. :)

Picture Credits

www.quotes-kid.com

www.rottentomatoes.com

www.weheartit.com

www.quip.io/Castlehe