HCX’s Top 7 Places to Eat At in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

One of the most daunting things about moving to uni will be preparing your own meals – except if you’re living in catered halls, but even then it is nice to try something new occasionally. With all the settling in, socialising and exploring you will be doing during freshers, you are bound to be overwhelmed and, as important as food is, sometimes you simply cannot find the time to prepare a recipe from one of the cookbooks your mum forced you to take to uni. But fear not! Exeter has several amazing restaurants and cafes that you ought to try, and none of these will burn a hole in your pocket (at least not as much as going out four times a week and online shopping will).

1) The Ram

Let me break it to you gently, this is where you are going to have most of your meals. When you first get here, you may assume the famous curly fries will be overrated. And then you’ll try them and fall in love. Although famous for their good ol’ basket of curly fries, there’s other options such as nachos (beware of the massive portion size) and burgers. Honestly, you can never go wrong with anything off the Ram’s menu. Located in the Forum, it’s the most convenient location while on campus, so there’s really no excuse to pass up on a curly fries opportunity. 

2) The Old Firehouse

If you are a fan of Harry Potter, you’re going to love this place, since this is what the Leaky Cauldron was inspired by. If you’re a pizza-lover, this will also be your favourite place to eat out. Basically, if you like your pizza big and hot, and do not plan on draining out all of your student loan, this is the place to be. It has got great live music on weekends, so if you’re looking for a nice chilled night after a crazy week of socials and parties, The Firehouse is the perfect spot. They also have the best flavoured ciders – toffee, watermelon and peach to name a few.

3) The Glorious Art House

Can’t find the perfect hangover cure? We’ve got that sorted for you. This place will give you the happiest vibes with their quirky and colourful decor. and the Glorious Hot Chocolate is to die for. The waffles are a great option to satisfy your sweet tooth too. Bonus: The aesthetic goes with any kind of Instagram filter.

4) Mega Kebab/ Best Kebab

HCX has even gotten your post night out meal covered! This is where you’ll blow half of your student loan. Located adjacent to each other, both of these have massive queues after every night out. Not the healthiest option, but you can cut yourself some slack with all the hills you’re going to be climbing after a night out. If you’re a vegetarian, don’t lose hope. Cheesy chips loaded with garlic sauce, mayonnaise, chill and ketchup may not get you your 5 a day, but they are probably the most satisfying meal ever.

5) Dominos

Special mention to Domino’s because, let’s be honest, the other half of your student loan will be spent here. If pizza isn’t tempting enough by itself, the coupons you collect at freshers (which will last you until next summer) and delivery until 5am will force you to give in to your temptations.

6) The Imperial

Better known as ‘The Impy’ (no one calls it ‘The Imperial’). This is the ideal location for those souls who live on the outskirts of the campus, towards St.David’s. It is probably the number 1 spot for pub crawls and socials. With (relatively) cheap drinks and food, it is the dream of a student – as any Wetherspoons is. 

7) The Creperie

Located in the city center and occasionally on campus, this little food truck is the perfect place to get snack to pick up on the go! Regardless of whether you’re craving something sweet or savoury, you will definitely find something that will satisfy you. From a basic Chocolate and Marshmallow crepe to a fancier salmon one, the options are endless!

I am the Editor for Culture here at Her Campus Exeter. I love long walks (to the fridge, of course), and binge watching chick flicks. Mean Girls is my favourite movie and I quote it way more frequently than I should. I am a second year Law student trying to adult but occasionally failing at it.