HCX Travel: Romantic Retreats For You And Your Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This spring, many girls will be searching for a summer holiday with their boyfriend, but planning a summer getaway can be difficult. Although some guys are happy to sunbathe for days on end, many have different ideas about what a perfect holiday consists of. However, there are many places that are perfect for boyfriends and girlfriends; places that are hot and summery, beautiful but cheap, and most importantly, where there are lots of things to do. Here are the Her Campus picks to get you inspired for the summer.

Rome – Summer City of Romance

If you are looking for a summery romantic holiday in the city, Rome is perfect. You can stay in a beautiful hotel set amongst gardens and with a pool – important for when the afternoon heat is too intense. You can wander around the city streets and sample Italian coffee and cuisine and later you can hire a Vespa for two, or take a horse and carriage ride around the city’s cobbled streets. In the evenings relax at a garden terrace bar or dance the night away together in one of the city’s cool nightclubs. So whether you are throwing a coin into the Trevi fountain or making fresh pasta at a local cooking class, Rome’s magical atmosphere is perfect for couples.

Crete – Heaven in the Mediterranean

The Greek Islands hold everything that is needed for a couples’ summer getaway, although some of them are difficult and expensive to get to. Chania, however, located in Crete, has its own airport and is a wonderful Mediterranean destination for young couples. There are many beautiful traditional stone villas with private pools and sunny sandy beaches nearby. The old Venetian harbour has waterfront restaurants and cafés with homemade ice cream and pastries, as well as tavernas to enjoy a glass of wine at. You can enjoy a late dinner before drinking at the beach bars or heading to a fun Greek nightclub. If you get tired of days by the pool then there are lots of water sports and activities to try including jet-skiing and snorkelling as well as a trip on a glass-bottomed boat to see the Mediterranean sea life! So for relaxation and fun, an island getaway would be fantastic for two.

Cornwall – Cosy Camping

Staying in England can actually provide a cheap alternative holiday and also comes with a fun road trip rather than a long flight. Travel down into the southwest to experience the picturesque Cornish towns complete with wonderful local cuisine and hopefully some sun, although that is not always guaranteed. There are several immaculate campsites overlooking flowery meadows and rocky Cornish bays for you to set up a tent at. They are the perfect place to spend the evenings drinking hot chocolate and watching the sun set. By day, you can go surfing at the windy northern beaches, eat some traditional fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, and explore the quintessential shops of Padstow or Polzeath. If you want to inject some luxury into the holiday, especially if the weather is not summery – try the Retallack Resort which has a spa, a golf course, and even a surf simulator. At night you can eat at one of Rick Stein’s restaurants and sample some of the famous fresh seafood before relaxing with some drinks. Cornwall could be a low-key but romantic getaway for you and your boyfriend.

[pagebreak]

Mexico – Exotic Adventure

For couples who want to have a wilder getaway this summer, there are some great deals for all-inclusive holidays to Mexico from around £500. The hot sun is guaranteed and hotels are spectacular, sometimes surrounded by the jungle or a private beach. You can also go on a day trip into the jungle, at an extra cost, where you can go canoeing, zip-lining and swimming in underwater caves as well as seeing Mayan ruins. There are so many activities to do such as jet-skiing and quad biking, so if you want to mix luxury with adventure, Mexico is the new up-and-coming summer destination for couples.

Turkey – Love and Luxury

For the place that has it all, go to the turquoise coast of Turkey. Kalkan is set beneath the Taurus mountains in a stunning landscape. Some resorts have Turkish baths, spas, infinity pools and tennis courts and at the old town there are gorgeous white wash villas and a maze of winding lanes. The heat is sizzling but there is often a cool breeze. There are so many things to do in the day – from scuba diving, wind surfing and exploring sea caves, to visiting ancient ruins. At night you can go on a moonlight boat trip where you can have dinner with wine, watch the stars, or go for a tranquil swim. Kalkan also has bars where you can taste the local vodka and almond liqueur, and look over the harbour lit up at night.

So whether you love cities or islands, relaxation or adventure, there are many places that have everything you need for an unforgettable romantic holiday this summer.

Picture Credits: www.pinterest.comwww.cheap-trip.euwww.zuhairah-worldtraveldestinations.blogspot.co.ukwww.grayline.comwww.luciakalkan.comwww.chicagoillinoisweddingphotography.com

2nd Year History Student