HCX Travel: Reading Week Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As the memories of warm weather and no deadlines and assignments fade, the prospect of Reading Week is slightly naughty and simply delightful. It is a week where we can all take a breather, catch up (or start!) on that additional reading and hopefully have a little bit of fun as it is the week leading to Hallowe’en. Everyone loved Half Term as a child so why can’t you enjoy your Reading Week despite your academic commitments?

With so many options about what to do and where to go during your ‘Opportunities Week’, it might be a little daunting and seem like an extra weight to add to your already overbearing workload. Therefore, we have compiled five top picks for a Reading Week excursion so take a peek and see if any of these fantastic breaks take your fancy!

1. Home comforts:

Admit it, we all love to be spoilt rotten and indulge in a little TLC. At home, work worries simply fade away and with home made meals, laundry done on demand, and all your familiar comforts, a sneaky couple of days home is the perfect antidote to a stressful term. Plus if you need to save those pennies, a trip home is definitely friendly to your wallet!

1. The Capital:

For those who are slightly more adventurous but still feeling the negative effects of energetic stash ordering, Fresher’s fair and one too many TP Wednesdays, a weekend away is the perfect to liven up your Reading Week! You are spoilt for choice as Exeter St David’s can connect you to an exciting array of cities! Indulge yourself and choose to spend the weekend in London wandering around Covent Garden, browsing the stalls at Portobello Market or even catching a musical in the West End. A return ticket to London is easy on your wallet but will ensure a memorable couple days away!

1. Explore the West Country:

Exeter’s location near to some beautiful Devonshire beaches and only a short train ride to Cornwall is such a fantastic and underused luxury that not many other universities can boast. Take a mini-break in your Reading Week and walk along the cliff-tops in Polzeath and Rock or enjoy the scenic beaches in Salcombe. A very English holiday may be just what you need to recharge, but remember to pack your wellies!!!

1. Abroad:

We know student budgets are impossible to stick to and many of us have bought too many clothes recently. Jet setting may seem out of the option for Reading Week however, there are a great many deals on in the off season and you can snap up a great deal if you search! Remember you don’t have to just fly somewhere, the Eurostar to Paris is as cheap as £69 return – so get searching and see what you can find!

1. Exeter:

Although you might want to escape the madness of University for a while you don’t need to travel anywhere! Take a few days for yourself by lying in, exploring all the yummy restaurants in Exeter (especially around Exeter Cathedral) and leave your work stresses behind. Go for day out trips to Exmouth, Bristol Zoo or even Plymouth’s Aquarium by buying cheap train tickets in advance!

Reading Week doesn’t need to be a week of stress with you spending hours slaving away in the library. Be imaginative! There are many money saving companies such as Tickety Split, which will allow you to find brilliant bargains with train tickets and more! So take a trip home, visit friends, relatives, beaches or cities! Reading Week should be a week full of opportunities!

Picture Credits: Pinterest, Telegraph,