HCX Travel: Indian Fort of the week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Neemrana Fort Palace

Nestled in the magical region of Rajasthan in northern India is the majestic Neemrana Fort Palace. Originally a fifteenth century fortress, its ruins were restored in 1986 and it now projects a spectacular façade with a turquoise blue pool and an historic amphitheatre

There are seven palace wings; the rooms and suites have terraces and balconies overlooking walled gardens and facing the dramatic Indian sunsets. The palace interior is decorated with both traditional Indian and colonial art, furniture and antiques, adding to historic grandeur of the fortress. ‘The Gold Room’ is known as the suite of the Gods and is furnished with a lacquered 200-year-old bed from Malabar and antique shiva heads. Another room, known as ‘The Pink Room’ is located near the rooftop and was the place that the Maharons relaxed after bathing in an open-air pool. 

As guests wander around the maze-like palace they will come across a courtyard of fountains, a pillared pavilion and a wing that contains a spa, restaurant and roof-top garden. Days at the fortress may be filled with being served traditional Indian drinks whilst relaxing in the hot sun by the pool, taking free yoga and meditation classes, or a trip into the local village.

The Rajasthan area is rich with history, culture and festivities. It is famous for its historic fortresses, desert safaris and camel rides, as well as its vibrant and delicious cuisine. In Neemrana village, guests can explore the streets filled with craftsmen using colourful glass, textiles and stones, or even take a hot air balloon ride and drift over the incredible landscape.

In the evenings, the palace lights up and sumptuous food is served to guests in the courtyards whilst being entertained by traditional folk music and dancing. 

This Indian fortress is a unique place to stay. With an emphasis on heritage and luxury, the ancient architecture and vibrant atmosphere of this historic palace makes it a top destination in northern India.

Photo Credits: fort-palace.neemranahotels.combooking.com

2nd Year History Student