HCX Travel: (Ice) Hotel of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

‘The Ice Hotel’, Jukkasjarvi, Sweden

Listed as one of the seven wonders of Sweden, the world’s original Ice Hotel is a frosted paradise for those who don’t mind a little chill during their stay!  The Christmas lights are being strung, mulled wine is the tipple of choice and roasted chestnuts lure us all with their delicious aroma. We love to get into the festive spirit, so why not go that one step further and embrace the full Arctic experience and stay at the Ice Hotel.

The Ice Hotel is located near the town of Jukkasjarvi, Sweden and is made entirely out of snow and ice blocks from the Torne River. This fabulously freezing hotel is erected every year in December until April so the exclusivity of staying in such a wonderful wonder of Sweden is so very ‘cool’.

The sub-zero hotel consists of an icy bar, church, main hall, reception area and rooms and suites for guests: a true frosty oasis.  The glistening hotel is a unique experience and each year is designed by a set of artists making your stay exceptionally irreplaceable and novel. Highly skilled staff maintain the hotel’s quality of the interior decorations, thus allowing the ‘freezingly’ fabulous furniture to be perfect throughout your stay. You are provided with complete thermal outfits designed to keep you snug throughout your stay and keen fashionistas will enjoy the fabulous furs on show throughout.

The limited season for the Ice Hotel helps to maintain its exclusive edge, whilst the structure remains below freezing, around 23 °F (−5 °C). Absolut Vodka became the first sponsors of this global phenomenon and even a trip to the Ice Bars by the Ice Hotel will leave you feeling chilled and awed by the ice sculptures.

There are many activities that you can partake in during your stay at this Winter Wonderland. You can experience the magnificent Northern Lights from treks and husky sledding or from the seat of your very own snowmobile.

The Ice Hotel is truly a spectacular feat of engineering genius and such an amazing attraction. So swap your Christmas hats for thermals, and explore the winter wonder of the world’s biggest and best ice hotel in Sweden! A stunning location and a unique sensational concept – so in the words of Matthew McConaughey “Frost Yourself” at this magical experience!

Photo Credits: loveisspeed.blogspot.co.uk, fabuloustravelguide.com