HCX Travel: Hotel of the Week…A Mesmerising Monastery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Perched on a cliff top above the Amalfi coast in south-west Italy is the Monastero Santa Rosa, a former monastery converted into a 20 bedroomed hotel and spa.  Described as a ‘sanctuary in the sky’, the only word you can use to describe this exclusive boutique hotel is perfezione.

Why should you go?

The pool: Her Campus thinks the hotel’s unique selling point is the infinity pool overlooking the Gulf of Salerno. You could sit for hours soaking up the view, sipping prosecco, wondering why you ever had to leave this magical place…

The location: Monastero Santa Rosa is placed among the picture-perfect towns dotted along the Amalfi coast, famed for their cobblestone streets, fresh seafood, beautiful buildings and most importantly, unrivalled views. The coastline is renowned for its divine allure with American writer John Steinbeck calling it “a dream place that isn’t quite real when you are there and becomes beckoningly real after you have gone.” They recommend travelling to the nearby towns of Positano, Amalfi and Ravello by private boat which enables you to look up to the grand Monastero from the sea. 

The spa: The Sunday Times named it one of the ‘10 Best Spas in the World,’ and this year Tatler gave it its ‘Best Spa Newcomer’ award. Merging 17th century tradition with modern spa technologies, this spa is a place of pure tranquillity and peace.

The food: Using herbs and vegetables grown on site at the hotel, their own olive oil, and seafood from the Gulf, the food is the freshest and most locally sourced that it could be. You can choose between their mouth-watering formal and al fresco menus, or if you’re really fussy, they will design for you your own personalised dining experience. Yes please!

The rooms: There are just 20 rooms at the Monastero, each named after regional Italian herbs, all as sumptuous as each other, and all overlooking the sea. Every evening as you are about to snuggle down into your fine Italian linens, you get a little present on your pillow, just to say good night. 

The gardens: Relax in one of the four levels of landscaped gardens, in a canopied day bed, or wander along the terraced walkways, enjoying the smells and surroundings of the botanical life that has been imported from all around the world.  

The details: An 80 minute drive from Naples International Airport (where easyJet and British Airways can take you from London, Liverpool or Edinburgh), or why not just hop in your helicopter and land on the helipad just beneath the monastery. (HCX appreciates that the former options are probably more viable…!)

The cost: 550 Euros per night for their most basic room, and 2500 Euros if you want a premium terrace suite – but let’s not worry about the numbers!

If you still need persuading or simply want to pass the day looking at hotel eye-candy, then take a look at the photographs or visit the website here: www.monasterosantarosa.com

If you’re looking for heaven in Italy, Monastero Santa Rosa goes above and beyond any girl’s expectations. Check out last week’s luxury resort in Crete for more European temptations!

Photo credits: www.monasterosantarosa.com

Lucy studies BA Geography with some Politics and Business on the side. She joined HCX this year to write for the Travel section.