This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Eastern Europe has recently turned into a top tourist destination, and we’ve discovered why. Prague is a gorgeous city, popular with both stag and hen nights and as we realised, romantic getaways for two.  Both of us were fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a weekend in this stunning city with our boyfriends and think that it’s an ideal break for two: whether you’re looking to enjoy these cultural delights in the summer sun, or as we did, in the dark depths of a very cold winter, it makes an ideal change to Exeter’s scenery.  One of the best ways we found to navigate this city that we had never been to before was with a Lonely Planet guide in our pockets: we highly recommend that you get one of these before you go and that you visit this city according to the areas of the city – and even the day plans – that it suggests.

In case you don’t fancy following Lonely Planet, here’s our suggestion of how to spend a long weekend in Prague:

Day 1: Prague Castle and Petrin Hill

This historic castle is possibly the top tourist destination in Prague – and quite rightly so! You can easily spend an afternoon or even a whole day up here.  Whether or not you have a deep love of history or architecture, everyone can appreciate the beauty of these buildings – especially St Vitus Cathedral and Golden Lane.  Large parts of the castle were built at different periods during the incredibly varied history of Prague; and some parts were even rebuilt after wars and fires.  You’ll really enjoy spending your time wandering round the castle and appreciating the incredibly beauty of this castle and seeing how different it is to any conception of a British castle as it feels more like a small town than a regular castle.  Budget: 175czk (about £6) for students – not bad for a whole afternoon! Where to eat? There’s plenty of restaurants all around the castle itself and even more next to the river: plenty to cover everyone’s tastes, especially if want to try traditional Czech cuisine.

If you’re looking to spend the whole day in the Mala Strana and Petrin Hill area then make sure you take the very short tram journey up to the top of Petrin Hill (it only costs about 80p!).  The views from this part of the city are incredible – you can see all the way over to the Old Town Square.  However, if the views aren’t good enough for you up here make sure you climb the Petrin Observation Tower – which is a mini Eiffel Tower! Whilst it might be cold up here and a touch shaky in the wind, the views are amazing. The walk down from here might is through a small park, but the winding paths through the snow are beautifully romantic: make sure you walk down and don’t take the tram! Budget: 55czk (about £2)…But there is a stand at the bottom selling waffles…Be warned!

[pagebreak]Day 2: Jewish Quarter

The Jewish Quarter or “Ghetto” as it was once known is definitely an must-see in this beautiful city, and is only a short walk from Old Town Square. Boasting a rich history dating back to the 12th century, this location has played such a significant role in the lives of Czech Jews past and present that it would seem as if you would be cheating Prague if you didn’t pay it a visit! If you have not already significantly dented your purse from yesterday’s trip to Prague Castle, I would highly recommend a tour guide for this area. Although there is information in each of the buildings of the Jewish Museum, I don’t feel that it is enough to capture the impact that Josefov still has on Prague as a whole today. An entrance ticket for the Zidovské muzeum v Praze (Prague Jewish Museum) includes admission to many of the most prominent remaining buildings and is equivalent to about £7 so is definitely worth a visit!

Originally a poverty-stricken area that was sectioned off from the rest of the city, this Ghetto represents the harsh restrictions and isolation that was felt by the Jewish community throughout the ages. In the 19th century when the ghetto was rife with prostitution and drunks, the city officials decided that the best solution would be to eradicate the area altogether. So although much of the city was destroyed, what is considered to be the oldest collection of Jewish monuments in Europe was preserved and is still standing today. These main buildings are essentially what comprise the Jewish Museum.

From the Pinkas synagogue, which spectacularly but poignantly displays the names of 80,000 Czech Jews victimised under the Nazi regime to the 12,000 tombstone in the Jewish Cemetery, reaching approximately 10 layers deep, it soon becomes very evident that the lives and stories of the Czech Jews are those that have never and will never be forgotten as they are so inherently part of this city’s identity.

Lunch: About a 15 minute walk away is Café Louvre, a restaurant famous for hosting celebrated Czech names such as Franz Kafka. Relax after a long day of walking in one of their many comfortable armchairs, indulging in Czech cuisine, daily newspapers and delicious coffees in the comfortable yet sophisticated environment. (Which is also very well priced: perfect!)

Dinner: What a gem! U Kroka. You’d be mad not to try it. However it is further into New Town so you would need to take a taxi there, I cannot recommend this restaurant enough! A great restaurant is one in which the locals will eat themselves and there are no English menus in sight. This concept may sound daunting to a few but I promise you will not regret it. A small shabby-chic bistro selling excellent genuine Czech cuisine, with a great atmosphere and is cheap as chips!…. or even better- as cheap as a bottle of wine and two main courses for £15. What’s not to like?

[pagebreak]Day 3: Old Square, Astronomical Clock and Charles Bridge

From Wenseclas Square, wander down the cobbled passageway-like streets, until they open up to reveal one of the most spectacular locations in Prague: Old Town Square. Normally bursting at the seams with tourists in summer, but relatively peaceful during the winter months, this square is bordered with beautiful architecture dating back to the 12th century and lined with craftsmen and cafes. As the market square got bigger over the years, many more Romanesque, Baroque and Gothic style buildings were erected, making this an aesthetically wonderful setting.

One of the most notable sights in the square is the Astronomical Clock, which proudly stands on the southern wall of the square. Built in 1410 it is both the 3rd oldest astronomical clock in the world, and the moreover the oldest still working! Every hour, crowds of people swarm around the base in anticipation of the three components representing sun and moon, the apostles and other figures being set into motion whilst the clock chimes.

Without a doubt one of the best times to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the square is at night, with a glass of mulled wine in hand! All of the buildings are lit up and the tall looming spires of Tyn Church resemble a typical Disney castle. What more could you want from a romantic evening in a European city?

Charles Bridge is a real highlight of Prague: this pedestrian bridge across the Vltava River gives you some of the most incredible views of the city.  Whether you choose to cross this early in the morning (like many of the guide books suggest you do) or even as part of an afternoon stroll, this is a site you don’t want to miss.  The view of the castle is spectacular, and if you happen to cross the bridge as the sun is setting this can make for a real photo opportunity.   This bridge is well known as one of the most romantic parts of Prague:  a real must if you’re heading there for a romantic weekend getaway.  (I even ended up going twice!).  Budget: Free!

Place to eat: If you cross the bridge and get to the left bank of the river there is an incredible crepe restaurant just on your right hand side: just what you want to warm you up!

[pagebreak]Fancy a special treat whilst you’re there?

For those who really want to go all-out and add a delicious treat to their romantic weekend away, I would highly recommend visiting the Bellevue restaurant. This Michelin-star restaurant definitely lives up to its name with a stunning view of Charles Bridge, which is particularly beautiful when it is lit up. Averaging at about £65 per head for 3 mouth-watering courses with wines to match, this elegant restaurant could significantly impact on your spending money. So if you were planning to visit, I would recommend going on your last night so you don’t wake up feeling guilty at the thought of spending all your remaining money. Anyway, there doesn’t seem to be any point in going home with extra Koruna now does there? Treat yourself!

Finally, looking for somewhere to stay can be difficult if you don’t know a city, but we really enjoyed the hotels we were in and think you would too! 

Hotel Novotel Praha Wenceslas Square: This 4* hotel is only a 10 minute walk from Wenceslas Square and a very enjoyable 3km walk from the castle: it’s location is ideal, especially since it is right next to a metro station.  Ideally this hotel has a swimming pool and sauna as well – ideal for relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. 

Hotel Assenzio is located only a 15-minute walk away from Wenseclas Square. Originally a stately home, it has been transformed into a modern, airy and luxurious 4* hotel. All the bedrooms are immaculately clean and they offer a large buffet breakfast as well as a small, but charming bar area. It is not a problem at all that it is not in New Town and is especially handy if you need to walk off a big meal!

Top Tip: make sure you remember your student card as you’ll get incredible student discounts to many of the tourist sites!

Photocredits: hostelworld.com; http://m3.i.pbase.com/o4/23/360023/1/53978623.PICT0424bw.jpg; http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5036/7214862896_a74f28395d_z.jpg; http://www.praguewelcome.cz/img/edee/photogallery/objects/51963/u-kroka1.jpg; http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic/prague/images/old-town-square-prague$23706-60#content; http://juliegilley.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55005a36888330168eb3993a0970c-800wi; http://www.pragueholiday.cz/enjoy/photos/bellevue-restaurant/restaurant-bellevue-06.jpg; http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/e9/0f/61/hotel-assenzio.jpg

Undergraduate at Exeter University studying Philosophy, French with Italian. Loves travelling, cooking, wine and going to the gym!
Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.