HCX Travel Guide: Dubrovnik

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When one initially thinks of Croatia, the usual areas suggested are Hvar and Split, whilst Dubrovnik remains largely over looked by the younger Western generation. However, situated at the bottom of Croatia, it attracts many other tourists from far and wide, especially the Antipodeans, so perfect if you love the Aussie accent! Dubrovnik’s outstanding beauty makes it seem like you are stepping back in time – it has been used as the set for Game of Thrones, so you might even be in with a chance of catching some filming. Dubrovnik has an international airport, giving you easy access to and from the city, and if you are coming from Greece or other areas of Croatia, the ease of catching a ferry is astonishing.

[pagebreak]

Places to stay:

If you’re not on a tight budget, or you are lucky enough to have a boyfriend who likes to spoil you, then Villa Dubrovnik is the place for you. However, for those of us who are looking for somewhere more modest, Fresh Sheet’s offers a social and friendly environment, ideal if you are travelling alone for 30 Euros a night. Yet, what I found best was simply rocking up and asking at a travel agency in the city. With great efficiency, they will set you up with somewhere to stay. It is advisable to stay near the old city, but just prepare yourself for the vast amount of steps you are most likely to climb to get to your room! An excellent way to stay looking great for the summer however!

Places to eat:

Again, it is hardly necessary to plan where you will eat too far in advance. Once entering the old city, you will be swamped by food from every corner of the world offered at very reasonable prices. However, a few places that you should not miss are: Nautika restaurant, which offers panoramic views of the Adriatic coast; Konoba Posat is quite upmarket, but for a special treat it should not be missed, and the waiter’s charm will make it an unforgettable experience; Pokliar is situated by the harbour and perfect for those pizza lovers.

[pagebreak]

Bars:

Up every side street (and there are many), you will find bar after bar. If you wind your way through the cobbled street, try not to get lost, you will find the famous Buza Bar 1. Buza means ‘hole in the wall’, and that is exactly what it is. This idyllic setting is found right on the cliffs edge, where you can enjoy some delicious cocktails, watch the sun set over the ocean and even take the plunge off the cliffs into the delightful water. If you are planning a big night out, Sky Bar is ideal; this modern set up boasts a young and vibrant scene.

Clubs:

Dubrovnik is not a huge city and therefore doesn’t hold that many clubs, yet the few they do have will without a doubt give you some of the best nights you can ask for. Revelin is the city’s largest club, situated in an old fort, and there you can find everything from women dancing in cages, men on bars breathing out fire and giant men in stilts! Fuego is another popular club, but it is in the basement and can sometimes become far too stuffy; not ideal when you have been basking in the sun all day long!

[pagebreak]

Beaches:

Banje is the closest beach to the city, with the Capacabana beach situated to the west of the Old Town. Both these beaches are incredibly popular with tourists and offer an array of water sports. However, if you are looking for somewhere that is slightly off the beaten track, Sveti Jakov is the beach for you. Just a twenty minute walk from the Old Town or a quick bus ride away, you will join the locals for a more relaxed atmosphere. One of the best places to visit, and somewhere I ended up going most days is the Island of Lockram. Just a quick boat ride away, which leaves from the Old Town every hour, you will arrive on a stunning island. With a thousand year old Benedictine monastery and beautiful botanical gardens, this is not somewhere you want to miss. Wander around the island and you will find a quiet place to lie back and soak up some rays, cooling off in the crystal clear sea.

Finally, you will notice a cable car on arriving in Dubrovnik that scales the city, taking you right to the top. There you will come across an old fortress, an important frontier where the brave Croats kept the Serb forces at bay in the recent conflict in the 1990s. The impressive view that you will get from the top is not to be missed, but unfortunately it comes at a price. If you are not so keen to pay, then another way to absorb the wonderful views is by taking to the steps! After a sweaty walk (recommended you don’t do this in the heat of the midday sun), you will find wonderful outlooks over the stunning city that is Dubrovnik.

The beauty of Dubrovnik is that it requires very little planning. Just rock up with a bunch of friends, find a cheap but convenient place to stay and take yourself for a little wander. The locals will be more than happy to help, and in fact will recommend the best things to do without a hefty bill at the end! An ideal girly getaway this summer.

Photo credits: –

http://www.completelycroatia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Dubrovnik-aerial1.jpg

http://debate.uvm.edu/travel/idea03/dubmainstreet.jpg

http://www.dubrovnik-hotels.info/docs/pages/dubrovnik/dubrovnik_hrvatska_plaza_banje_1.jpg

http://8020.photos.everywheremag.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/2992_1279_m.jpg