burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HCX Style Guide: Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and with it is a building sense of anxiety for some of us and our other halves. There is a lot of pressure these days to express our feelings through grand, and therefore often expensive, gestures but there are still a few different ideas that won’t break the bank. Here we’ve got your go-to style guide for several different date scenarios that he might throw your way

Dinner

It’s a classic and safe bet but can still be tricky to nail in the wardrobe department. Ask him beforehand the name of the restaurant or if he won’t tell you that then ask for at least the style and class of it.

If you like the simple and sophisticated look then this crêpé navy midi dress is flattering on all figures. The below-the-knee hemline is compensated for by the plunging and sexy neckline.

For a very fancy restaurant then both the flower print off-the-shoulder dress and the sequin turquoise are appropriate as they keep you looking modest yet exceptionally feminine.

Lunch

Perhaps he wants to romance you with a midday meal by the river, in which case you have more leeway with your clothing. If the day is nice then either this crochet white dress or the flower print tea dress will be perfect, both comfortable and romantic.  If you’re not so into wearing skirts then shorts and jeans can always be classed up with a pair of heels that communicates to your date that you’ve put in thought and effort. 

Cinema

Some would argue that a trip to the cinema is the best kind of date, especially if it’s the first one together. It’s dark, silent and there’ll be electricity between you both throughout the film.  It’s also the easiest date to dress for as he won’t be looking at you for the most part. Jeans are a good choice as they’re comfortable but can be classed-up with a pair of ankle boots and the right top but comfortable for the 2 hours ahead of you. One thing is paramount about dressing for a cinema date: dress warm. For some reason cinemas feel the need to blast the air conditioning on full. 

Beach

If he’s thinking about taking you to the beach in the middle of February then he’s probably got something romantic in mind and is a keeper. If it happens to be a sunny day then something like this shirt dress paired with tights, ankle boots and a leather jacket would be perfect as it’s gives great mobility. If you’re more the type of girl who gets involved and is up for a paddle then plimsolls and leggings would be a better choice, as you can slip of your shoes and roll up your trousers.

Walk

Maybe he wants to take you on a long romantic walk that will end with a candlelit dinner in a mossy clearing with a string quartet. For the walk bit at least you want to be wearing something comfortable and warm. Jeans again would be the best choice paired with either trainers or some boots, knee high if you want to be a little bit sexy. Culottes such as these on the left are also ideal if the weather permits, paired with some converse. 

Activity

A lot of respect to the guy who organises an activity orientated date. He’s definitely a keeper. Unfortunately for us girls, physical activities don’t give us a great opportunity to dress up and show ourselves off in the wardrobe department. Combine a pair of cool trainers or converse with leggings or yoga trousers and a comfortable hoodie/top to show him that you’re up for embracing what ever he’s organised for you both. You might just have to accept that you’re not going to look your best. 

Too intense for a first date?

Photo Credits:

http://www.asos.com/

I am an international student from Exeter in the U.K studying English Literature. I write my own blog about my experiences here in the USA, the address being livingtheamerican.blogspot.com