HCX’s Top 10 Things To Do In Amsterdam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of year girls, we’re all back in Exeter after a summer of adventures. Before lectures and reading lists take over, here’s a fun travel tease about Amsterdam – just one stop in my whirlwind tour of Europe this summer. The perfect city for students with a chilled, vibrant and unique atmosphere (not forgetting those red lights for the sinners out there).

Here are 10 things you should definitely check out whilst in the city – 

1. Vondelpark

This lush, green oasis is full of fun quirky features, as well as plenty of restaurants. HCX Tip: Groot Melkhuis does the city’s best cheeseburger. Spend an afternoon here exploring and basking in the sun, just like the locals, on a rug with a cool beverage and delicious picnic.

2. Anne Frank House  €

A moving experience, the house transmits a powerful message through telling the story of an extraordinary girl. HCX Tip: to beat the long queues visit in the evening during the extended opening times in summer. 

3. Van Gogh Museum  €€

Learn about the eccentric life of one of history’s most memorable artists, Vincent Van Gogh. Enjoy his colourful masterpieces and learn all about the meaning behind his artwork. Splash out and get a multimedia guide – this will give you detailed insights into Van Gogh’s works on display and even has the option of a self-guided tour.

4. Flower Market

The Netherlands are well known for their flowers, particularly tulips. Most stalls in this floating market sell bulbs rather than fresh flowers, making it all the more easy for you to pop them in your hand luggage!

5. Dam Square

A good place to get your bearings – big brand shops, Madame Tussauds, bars and red lights surround this bustling square. Take in the 17th Century Royal Palace (Koninklijk) and the National WW2 Memorial, then simply follow your moral compass…

6. Xtracold Ice Bar

Chill out with a cocktail at a very cold -9 degrees. Do book in advance on their website and don’t wear summery clothes, you’ll need the layers!

7. Canals

Amsterdam is a maze of canals. Navigate yourself around the waterways leisurely on foot or in style on one of the cruise boat trips on offer. This part of the city is especially picturesque so make sure your camera is always to hand. 

8. blueº

Out of sight at the top of Kalvertoren shopping centre, blue has the most incredible 360º view over the rooftops of Amsterdam. The perfect spot to break from shopping for a light lunch or drinks.

9. Hire a Bike

There is just no escaping them in this city, there are bikes everywhere! A fun way to explore the city as cycling allows you to cover more ground quickly. Tandems are also available at most of the many bike hire shops. HCX Tip: keep a plastic bag handy so those seats stay dry.

10. Snack Bars

Fast food needs to be embraced in this city. Whether it is hot dogs or pizza, churros or pancakes there is no shortage of choice or supply! The well-known bar district Leidseplein is your best bet for all of your favourite chains – even featuring a Ben and Jerrys. 

So what are you waiting for collegiettes – get booking your flights to one of Europe’s coolest cities

Photo Credits:

www.blue-amsterdam.nl

Emily Marie

Deputy Travel Editor 2015-2016 A third year geographer with constant wanderlust.