This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, Her Campus Exeter has found the perfect pick me up film to get you through your impending essay and dissertation deadlines…

Deadpool transports you from the monotonous university lifestyle into the world of super heroes. Of course, we cannot forget to mention the eye candy of the protagonist, played by the irresistible Ryan Reynolds – which alone is a perfectly valid reason to watch this film. Littered with satire, Deadpool’s endless ironic jokes will have you laughing out loud. This movie contains the perfect balance between action and comedy.

Based on the Marvel comic book ‘Deadpool’, from the studio that brought you the Wolverine and X-Men, director Tim Miller brings this story to life in his on-screen adaption, characterised by amazing visual effects and dark humour.

In this movie, Wade, a.k.a Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) is the protagonist of the story, but as his superhero name suggests, he is not a hero, rather an anti-hero. He is a Special Forces operative turned mercenary who undergoes an illegal experiment, which provides him with superhuman powers. As a result of these powers, Wade is left deformed and makes it his mission to hunt down the man who subjected him to this half-life and reverse his curse. Ajax (Ed Skrein), who we cannot help but love to hate, is the real villain who takes Wade’s identity from him. Wade adopts the alter ego Deadpool; armed with his new abilities and twisted dark humour, dressed in his infamous red and black suit, this man in the mask is the perfect antihero.

With the help of his trusty sidekicks, Colossus (voiced by Stefan Kapicic) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand) – and yes that really is her name – Deadpool must take revenge on the evil Ajax.

Do not fret ladies, this movie still contains a love story, for the hopeless romantics of you out there. Naturally, the hero has his beautiful girlfriend, Vanessa (Morena Baccarin), whom he has to rescue from a damsel in distress situation. A note of warning – this movie is not for the squeamish, but the crass humour of the gore and violence adds to the playful nature of the film.

Although all the characters have comedic value, special mention must go to Blind Al (Leslie Uggams), Dopinder (Karan Soni) and Weasel (T.J Miller), who are the real MVPs in bringing Deadpool’s humour to life with their classic one liners.

Even though parts of this movie are quite predictable, this is definitely a must-see, and a great addition to the Marvel franchise. The epic visual effects and action-packed plot work perfectly alongside the eclectic mix of songs in the soundtrack, including hits from DMX, Flo Rida and Wham. Do not forget to stay in your seat until the very end, for the unique Marvel clip after the rolling credits.

This film has something for everyone, and is the perfect excuse for a girls’ movie night or a date with your significant other. Whether you are an avid comic book hero fan, or simply there for the eye candy, Deadpool is a definite mood booster to help you through the mid-term lull!

Deputy Editor for Culture at Her Campus Exeter. I am a final year student studying Classics and German at the University of Exeter.