HCX Luxury Hotel of the Week: Matakauri Lodge, New Zealand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week we have chosen to venture slightly further afield for our hotel of the week, all the way over to the South island in New Zealand. Many of you may have travelled to this part of New Zealand before, so feast your eyes on this beautiful retreat…

Just 7 minutes from the well-known Queenstown on the South island in New Zealand, and situated beside the spectacular Lake Wakatipu, is the Matakauri Lodge. This luxurious and award winning hotel offers 11 luxurious suites and villas to stay in, each with a beautiful view over the dramatic lake and surrounding mountains.

The Lodge has 8 individual cottages as well as 3 suites located in the main lodge. Every suite has its own private porch, bedroom, sitting area, open fireplace, walk-in-wardrobe, flat screen TV, iPod docking station, free mini bar and much, much more.

The food is meant to be spectacular, with the Lodge priding themselves in showcasing some of the finest wines and local produce. Your accommodation includes not only the beautiful rooms, but also pre-dinner drinks with hors d’ouvres, a gourmet dinner each night, and a full gourmet breakfast each morning.

The facilities are extensive and include a luxurious day spa with an outdoor fully heated infinity pool, a Jacuzzi and a fully equipped fitness centre. The spa is located on the edge of the pine forest, boasting uninterrupted views over the lake and an extremely private and peaceful experience. 

There are many activities on offer in this area. For the adventurous type, the hotel can organise activities such as white water rafting, bungee jumping, jet boating and paragliding, and for the (slightly) more passive traveller, you can enjoy many outdoor pursuits such as hiking, horse riding, visiting wineries, trout fishing and scenic flights over the unforgettable Milford Sound.

Photo credits: www.fivestaralliance.com, www.boutiqetravel.net

Connie is a BA Geography student in her third year at Exeter University, and is  also a deputy Travel Editor for Her Campus Exeter. Connie discovered her passion for travel when she was just 13 years old during a 4 month school exchange programme to Christchurch in New Zealand. Since then she has developed a love for discovering more of the world and on her gap year she was lucky to travel to both Africa and South-East Asia, and next on her ambitious list is to visit South America. She will hopefully be able to contribute well to the Her Campus Exeter Travel team! At university Connie enjoys spending quality time with her friends, and is a great fan of trying and testing different cuisines and restaurants, despite being a rather poor cook herself. She enjoys playing sport socially such as netball, tennis and hockey, but has never possessed the competitiveness and aggression needed to be a top player in either of these! Something she is keen to pursue however is learning to speak Spanish, which she is currently studying alongside her Geography degree at university.  After university Connie plans to work within the Marketing and PR sector, having always had an interest in working with large scale brands in both the beauty and travel sector.