HCX Luxury English Retreat: Bovey Castle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s hotel of the week requires no passport, no long uncomfortable journey and no jet lag, which you so often have to endure when travelling to the most beautiful and luxurious places in the world. Just 30 minutes away from Exeter is the beautiful Bovey Castle. Nestled in Dartmoor National Park, Her Campus Exeter thinks this country pile estate is the most idyllic place for a weekend retreat.

Why Bovey?

Bovey is a magnificent old English manor house that offers total luxury in a relaxed atmosphere. It has 64 individually designed bedrooms overlooking the National Park and self catered lodges in the grounds for those who want ultimate privacy and seclusion.

Bovey’s main attraction is the huge range of activities you can do in its sprawling grounds, including an 18-hole championship Golf course, fly-fishing, shooting, horse riding, and guided walks. We prefer its more unusual activities though. You can try CROLF (that’s a combination of croquet and golf), make your own Cider and Sloe Gin in the Long Barn, learn to fly birds of prey (with the hotels resident falconer and his eagles; Artemis and Rosie), go quad biking over the moors or for the best view of the Bovey estate, go for a sun-set hot air balloon ride.

For those of you looking for a slightly less active weekend, Bovey has a flagship SUNDARI spa (owned by supermodel Christy Thurlington), art master classes, and more than enough comfortable chairs, roaring fires, board games and books to enjoy your day.

Along with all of the resort facilities and activities on offer, Bovey prides itself on its dining experiences. From their delectable afternoon teas and famous Sunday lunches, to the fine dining experience in the Edwardian grill with its signature Beef Menu. There is something for every appetite. For after dinner drinks (or an afternoon aperitif!), the Oak Bar has a huge cocktail menu (and whisky and spirit selection), with trained mixologists ready to whip up your favourite tipple.

There’s so much to do and enjoy at Bovey in total luxury and it’s right on our doorstep, making it easy to crown this English estate as our luxury hotel of the week.

Her Campus tip:

If you need to treat yourself to a mid-term break (we all do) you can visit Bovey for the day. Day membership (for use of all of the leisure facilities) is £25. Look out for their spa day and afternoon tea offers too! 

Picture credits: www.boveycastle.com, www.socialathleticsclub.com, www.squaremeal.co.uk

Lucy studies BA Geography with some Politics and Business on the side. She joined HCX this year to write for the Travel section.