yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

HCX Hidden Gems: Top 3 Haunted Castles in the South West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With Halloween fast approaching why not have a novel experience in a spooky haunted castle? We have the perfect places for you…

1. The Berry Pomeroy Castle

The Berry Pomeroy Castle is located in Devon near Paignton. Originally constructed in the 13th Century, with a manor house constructed a few centuries later, there is a real mixture of architecture to be seen at this hidden gem. Nearby there is gorgeous woodland to explore, and a café on site to indulge in some tea and cake.  Concession entry: £4.70

This spooky castle is haunted by two female ghosts: the White Lady and the Blue Lady.  The White Lady is the spirit of Margaret Pomeroy and haunts the dungeons, many report that she has been seen beckoning to visitors in this part of the castle. According to legends, Margaret Pomeroy was imprisoned in the dungeons and starved to death by her sister because she was jealous of her beauty. The Blue Lady was supposedly raped by her own father who then proceeded to strangle the resulting child, and can be encountered enticing tourists in to various parts of the grounds.

2. Pengersick Castle

Venture down to Germoe in Cornwall for this eerie experience. Legend has it that there are over 20 spirits haunting this site, including a monk roaming the grounds, mostly sighted around the small forest at the end of the medieval garden. Henry Pengersick’s wife, the beautiful Engrina, haunts the main bedroom, and there are at least two other spirits who reside there also.

There is evidence that this site dates back to the Bronze Age making it over 5,000 years old, but the Pengersick family resided here from the 12th Century. Costing a mere £5 to visit for students, we think it is high time that we go and explore.

3. Okehampton Castle

This is the remains of the largest castle in Devon, and one of the largest in the South West, so it definitely warrants a place on this ghostly list. The ghost of Lady Howard lives here and is said to have murdered her four husbands. If you want to see something extraordinary, a visit to the grounds at night is a must; legend has it that at midnight each night she takes a carriage constructed of bones to Tavistock, which is driven by a headless driver and led by a dog with bright crimson eyes.

With an entrance cost of £3.20, along with a riverside picnic area, this attraction is definitely worth a visit.

Now, we are not saying that any of this is supported by scientific evidence, but why not go on an quest and report back to us if you are subject to any peculiar sightings? You never know what you may find this Halloween!

However, if you do not want to venture outside of Exeter then why not check out the city’s underground passages – a site every student needs to experience at least once.

Photo Credits:

www.hauntedrooms.co.uk

www.english-heritage.org.uk

Culture EditorCurrently studying Biological Sciences in my third and final year at the University of Exeter. I love adventures and exploring the world around me so I'm trying to squeeze as much fun into this stressful time - you only get one life!