HCX Guy: A Few Thoughts Before Freshers’ Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We’ve all been there: moving away from home and into halls for the first time can be quite daunting. But here’s a few reasons why you shouldn’t be as nervous as you are!

A friend of mine recently described her feelings before starting university as 50% excited and 50% terrified. This, I’m sure, is a common mix of emotions for Freshers: the excitement of leaving home, meeting new people, and starting afresh is set against the anxiety of leaving home for the first time, and moving to a place where the vast majority of people are strangers. I’m sure you’ve seen all the University “Facebook groups and scoured “The Student Room” for advice, so why not start trying to find people in the same halls as you; it’ll calm the nerves knowing a few of the people you’ll be living with already! You’re doing all the right things and trying to settle in, so let me reassure you that in two weeks time you’ll find it laughable that you were this nervous.

You may even be a little nervous about living with guys for the first time, so I’d like to defend us. We may sometimes get a bad reputation, but for the most part we are just as anxious as you: we just try to hide it!. Yes, there may be guys who fit the stereotype, those who are only hoping to achieve one thing in Fresher’s week, but chances are there will also be girls with that objective, so don’t always judge a book by its cover!

As this is my first post I’ll keep it brief. As I am sure you have been reassured a hundred times, everyone really is in the same boat as you are! And know this: to know someone in the same halls or accommodation as you are is an anomaly, not the norm. Secondly, it’s Fresher’s week: everyone is friendly and cliques really haven’t had a chance to form, so just get to know as many people as you can… And most importantly, enjoy it! Fresher’s week is so much fun and a great introduction to your university life.

If you have any questions for me, just ask here;

www.hcexeter13.wufoo.com/forms/ask-the-hc-exeter-guy/

Adieu 

Picture Credits – www.weheartit.com