HCX Guide to Societies to Watch in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

From Harry Potter to heavy metal, baking to big band, here at Exeter we are not short of societies. Choosing what to join can be a daunting task, and after the literal squash of the Freshers’ Fair you may be in need of some guidance. Her Campus takes a look at four fabulous societies to keep a keen eye on this year.

Mind Your Head

Exeter’s mental health awareness society is committed to breaking down the stigmas associated with mental illness. With previous socials including weekly relaxing yoga sessions and an outrageous Mad Hatter party, Mind your Head are focussed on promoting wellbeing and positivity in all areas of student life.

Razz My Berries

Razz is Exeter’s only magazine catering to the creative arts. Delve into its glossy pages to find articles, criticism, poetry, photography and more on topics including live music, contemporary art and food. Explore the blog here and satisfy your artistic cravings.

[pagebreak]

Beats & Bass

Devoted to dance music, Beats & Bass not only provides Exeter’s nightlife with some of the best club nights but also gives its members the chance experience all areas of the UK dance music scene, from DJing to music production. Get down to Cellar Door on 8th October and enjoy the beats and bass for yourself. 

Raise and Give

RAG is the university’s biggest fundraising society – last year the group managed to raise an impressive £69,941. Organising some of Exeter’s biggest events is second nature to RAG; particular highlights include Exeter invades Bristol and Exeter’s Got Talent. This ever popular society also gives its members incredible volunteering opportunities like climbing Kilimanjaro and the Ugandan Gorilla Trek. Watch out for RAG all over campus and the chance to do your bit for their four fantastic chosen charities. 

Whether you’re keen to take part or just want to enjoy the parties, these are just four of the many exciting societies at Exeter that will guarantee you an unforgettable year. 

Katie is a fourth year English Literature and Spanish student and General Culture Editor for HCX. She has recently returned from a glorious year abroad in Spain, first spending 5 months at Córdoba University, and then 5 months as Content & Editorial Assistant at Splendia, a luxury travel company in Barcelona. While she is definitely missing the sun, sea and sangria, Katie is so happy to be back in Old Blighty spending time with friends and family, going for country walks and enjoying her Mum's marvellous cooking. Having been an editor for the launch year of Exeter's Branch of Her Campus she is keen to get stuck in again and continue the great success that HCX has had over the past year. Katie likes to think she's well qualified for the position of Culture Editor as she enjoys nights at the theatre, curling up with a cup of tea and a juicy book and most of all, indulging her dangerously sweet tooth. Katie is excited to start writing for Her Campus again and stop talking about herself in the third person - it's a truly odd experience.