This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Bored of going to cheesy Tuesdays, TP Wednesdays, and Saturday Lemmy every single week? Yeah us too. Instead of ending yet another night in the comforting arms of a lukewarm kebab, and the promise of an unpleasant hangover, why not unleash your inner-grown up (it’s like your inner-child but more cultured and sophisticated and stuff) and take your friends somewhere this term you can brag about. Interesting, exciting things are going on in Exeter all the time but us students rarely hear about them before tickets have already sold out, but here at HCX we are going to make sure that doesn’t happen this time! So, here is our ultimate guide to what’s not to be missed in Exeter this term…

1.  First things first. Bombay Bicycle Club are coming to Exeter! We know right, not only are tickets still available at twenty pounds a pop but they’re playing in our very own Great Hall. In our opinion, completely and utterly worth it. Make sure you get in there quickly though because we reckon these are going to go like hot cakes! 

Buy tickets here

2.  Sadly, SSB is no more. Last year was the final time we could go out and get inebriated in little more than our underwear whilst telling ourselves (and our parents) it was all in the name of charity, and that really we were just promoting safer sex. Times have changed however, and this year RAG have brought us the prohibition ball! Already sold out, this night of 1920’s themed debauchery promises to be an absolute cracker.

Get yourself on the waiting list here: 

3. Having cleared up at the Golden Globes last week winning no less than three awards, and having just been nominated for a grand total of ten (yes, ten) Oscars, we think it’s safe to say The American Hustle is the must-watch of the season. With an all-star cast including feisty actress of the moment Jennifer Lawrence, not to mention the lovely Amy Adams, and screen heartthrobs Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper, this film not only has as much eye-candy as your heart could possibly desire but, to top it off, is superbly acted and directed. If you want to go easy on your purse and avoid cinema prices, pop into our very own campus cinema on Sunday 9th February.

Details available here: 

4. The 24th January marks the return of Cavern’s most edgy night, Our House, so get on your Air Max’s and snapbacks and celebrate! Whilst the rest of us ate ourselves into a stupor during the Christmas holidays, the guys behind Our House have clearly been busy all in the name of good music and have lined up up-and-coming garage-infused duo Bodhi to play next week, who, having played glasto for the first time this year are making a name for themselves on the house scene with remixes of ‘Love Sex and Magic’ and The XX’s ‘Angels’. 

5. The much-loved and incredibly popular Itchy Feet is back this February, so if you fancy a night out with a difference then put on your dancing shoes and grab yourself a ticket for this night of rock’n’roll, swing and blues! The perfect opportunity to dress up to the nines (spending hours getting ready is completely fine honestly) and pretend you were born in the forties, Itchy Feet provides a much appreciated alternative to the endless Miley and Rihanna replays normally inescapable on a night out in Exeter. Sadly, tickets have sold out – but keep an eye out for people selling tickets on the Facebook event. 

6. However, if you want to be uber cultural or fancy a more chilled out night (perhaps you’re completing the January dryathalon!) then take a look at the Spring Programme’s for The Phoenix, The Bikeshed Theatre, and the University’s own Northcott Theatre who all have a jam-packed schedule throughout the rest of this term. From comedy and theatre festivals to musicals, indie films, and jazz nights these three great, and often over-looked, venues have a brilliant selection of events and we’ve picked three of the best below.

Tickets for West Side Story here

Tickets for LOL, Exeter’s Comedy Festival here 

Tickets for the From Devon With Love Festival here

Image Credits: www.tumblr.com, caragaleblog.files.wordpress.com, www.nme.com, exeternorthcott.co.uk

Hi, I'm Iona! I'm 21 and am studying English at Exeter University. Passionate about food, travelling and exercise; I love to sharing my experiences and writing about all of these things (and more!). Absolute dream career would be PR. Enjoy my ramblings...