HCX Date for Your Diary: Exeter Christmas Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Although some people believe it too early to be thinking of Christmas, here at HCX we are very excited. For us the festive season is approaching as soon as Thursday 19th November,  when we will be marking the beginning of our Christmas countdown with the Christmas lights switch on in Exeter town centre. The one occasion where the crowds are good thing, everyone will be heading out to embrace the festive spirit and this year it is sure to be even more spectacular than ever.

This year Michael Caines MBE and Tony Rowe OBE will switch on the lights at 6.30pm. Michael Caines is a Michelin star chef with his own academy for catering. You may have noticed his logo at the Royal Clarence Hotel, which plays host to one of Michael Caines’ endorsed restaurants. He is also a patron of “Families for Children Trust”, close to his heart as he himself was adopted. Tony Rowe is the Chief Executive and Chairman of the South West Communications Group as well as the Exeter Chiefs Rugby Club. Tony is also Chairman and Trustee of the Exeter Foundation, a Trustee of the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund, and the Chairman and Trustee of the C Group.

This is not just a five minute event, there is a whole festive party going on that begins at 4pm and continues with live entertainment to keep you enticed. This year new streets will be illuminated with thousands of LEDs, chandeliers, projections, a walk through lit up bauble structure, and a couple of polar bears. There will also be entertainment in Gandy Street, with a juggling Winter Fairy, Sparky the Robot, Bouncing Elves, and Musical Ruth.

Not only will the city look incredibly pretty, this date also signifies the opening of the famous Exeter Christmas Market. Veteran third years’ know what this means: mulled cider and giant, hog-roast-filled Yorkshire Puddings. Freshers’, welcome to Exeter – this market will leave you in the most festive of spirits.

Situated in the beautiful cathedral green and set up as various little chalets selling everything from wooden statues, to lights, jewellery, nougat, and sweets, this incredible market is one of the best things about our gorgeous city!

The market will run from the 19th of November until the 19th of December (open until 9pm on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays) with more than 50 traders selling you their goods. You are guaranteed to be able to find everyone a present from this magical treasure trove.

Wrap up warm and come and join us in the city centre for a festive and mulled cider-filled evening.

Culture EditorCurrently studying Biological Sciences in my third and final year at the University of Exeter. I love adventures and exploring the world around me so I'm trying to squeeze as much fun into this stressful time - you only get one life!