HCX Christmas Gift Guide: The Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With Christmas rapidly approaching, you are probably yet to think about, let alone start, buying presents for your loved ones. Well don’t panic – it happens to the best of us! Better yet, HCX have compiled a few gift ideas for family that we think will help get the ball rolling before it’s too late!

Sister

Buying a Christmas present for your sister is definitely one of the easier tasks, so here are a few ideas to get you started:

·         If you’re looking for something small or are on a tight budget, then jewellery is a great option. Buy her some Christmassy earrings or a necklace that will compliment her Christmas Day outfit. Plus, this is definitely a gift you can borrow…! Accessorize has some beautiful jewellry, perfect for the festive season.  

·         You also can’t go wrong with a wooly hat or a pair of fluffy slipper boots, which Next have a lovely range of.

·         If you have a bit more to spend, then go for something like a Benefit make up set, a Nails Inc nail varnish set, or Soap and Glory The Yule Monty gift set – all available at Boots.

·         Or for some pricier jewellery, a charm bracelet and/or charms are an easy present. Pandora, Thomas Sabo, and Links of London are some of our favourites.

·         And if you really want to please your sister, check out Ticketmaster for tickets to see her favourite artist (just make sure she takes you along!)

[pagebreak]

Brother

Buying for boys is never easy, as somehow they seem to be the fussiest of all! But we have listed some pretty fool proof suggestions to make even your brother pretty pleased on Christmas Day.

·         If you’re looking for an easy present for your brother buy him his favourite CD, or an iTunes voucher if his music taste is a mystery to you!

·         If your brother is into gaming, pay a visit to Game where you’re likely to find the perfect present.  

·         Or what about something practical like a new Ipad or laptop case; try Amazon for a huge variety.

·         Sticking to the gadget theme, a new pair of speakers will no doubt go down a treat. John Lewis is a classic for all of these.

·         Swaying away from the electronics, you could go for clothes or accessories. Something like a Christmas jumper or socks are a safer bet if you’re worried that he just won’t wear anything you buy him – brothers eh?

·         Or if you have more to spend and want something memorable, why not have a look at Buy-A-Gift where you could buy him a tour of his favourite football stadium, a day driving a race car, or take him indoor skydiving!

[pagebreak]

Mum

It’s nearly the holidays. which means you’re taking home all your dirty washing for Mum to do and expecting her to cook for you everyday, so it has never been more important to find your Mum the perfect present.

·         If you just don’t have the money to buy her something big then don’t worry, as there are plenty of low budget gems. Scented candles and pot pourri are a safe option with no Mum opposing to having a lovely smelling house. Try Marks and Spencer’s or John Lewis for these.

·         How about a scarf or some gloves to keep her toasty on the annual Christmas Day walk?

·         If you’re willing to spend a bit more money, then why not buy her favourite perfume that has just run out, or the handbag that she has been going on about for god knows how long (you could always go halves with a sibling to decrease the dent in your bank account).

·         For something more sentimental, you could buy a pretty photo frame and put a family photo inside. Paperchase and Urban Outfitters have a great selection. Alternatively, websites such as Photobox allow you to personalise a mug or make a calendar using your own photos – something any mum would really appreciate and get good use out of!

[pagebreak]

Dad

If you, like us, find the task of choosing your Dad’s Christmas present the most daunting of all, don’t fear we’re here to help!

·         Starting small, you’ve got your standard gifts – cuff links, socks, a new tie or wallet.

·         For something small yet more personal, and if your Dad is the ‘overly proud of my daughter at Exeter University’ type, why not buy him some Exeter memorabilia from the gift shop next to the Ram, they’ve got mugs pencils and socks galore!

·         No Dad will ever oppose something nice to stock the drinks cabinet with, or an edible treat. Stroll down to the Christmas market in town where there are plenty of options (you’ll also get a sneaky taster if you’re lucky).

·         If your Dad’s into his sport, then tickets to see his favourite team is a guaranteed winner.

·         Alternatively, how about something for the kitchen? There’s so much choice – you could get him a new knife set ready to use to carve the turkey, or a new casserole dish. Lakeland and John Lewis are the places to go for these. 

Photo Credits: www.tumblr.comwww.next.co.ukwww.pandora.netwww.johnlewis.comwww.topman.comstore.apple.com/ukwww.paperchase.co.ukwww.marksandspencer.com

19 years old, and studying economics at the University of Exeter