HCX Campus Cutie: James Wright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Name: James Wright

Year: 3rd

Course: Physics

Relationship status: In a relationship 

This week HCX had the pleasure of interviewing James Wright, a keen mountaineer and member of the Officer Training Corps. He will whisk you away to the mountains and fly you up through the clouds, before settling down with a nice cup of tea. 

Hey James! How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Thoughtful, practical, amusing.

So, being in a relationship, you must have had some good dates together. What is your ideal date?

Going for an adventurous walk somewhere like Dartmoor (as long as the weather is good) and then going for a rustic pub lunch and drinks.

And if you were really pushing the boat out, where would you want to go on a romantic break?

Somewhere like Bavaria, where there is lots of culture but also loads of outdoorsy stuff to do. I would want a good balance between going to tourist attractions, bars and restaurants, and also getting outside and enjoying the countryside. 

So a big fan of the outdoors then! As Junior Under Officer in the Officer Training Corps, what do you find the best bit about it?

Definitely the people.

What has been your craziest night out so far at university?

I’d like to say that in third year I’ve been in working all the time, but it was actually only a few weeks ago at Halloween. I went to Plymouth for a house party and after drinking games, ski shots, and downing a horrifically strong fish bowl, I ended up passed out in the centre of Plymouth. Luckily some friendly paramedics coordinated my rescue with my friends so that I coud begin my two day long hangover. 

As a third year, have you had any thoughts on what you would like to do after graduating?

I would like to take some time out for a little while, and then I plan on joining the army in the role of an Ammunitiion Technical Officer.

What was the last country you visited?

Last summer, I went to Italy with OTC. I had organized the trip for 50 people to go and do some mountaineering and rock climbing in the Dolomite Mountain region of Italy, it was some of the most fun I’ve ever had. 

What is a fun fact about you?

Ah so many to choose from! But a good one has to be that I can fly a plane! 

Something off your bucket list?

I’d like to climb the Mattahorn in Switzerland. I’m a keen mountaineer, and this is a classic alpine climb that I’ve wanted to do for a while.

What would others say is the cutest thing about you?

Well, having spoken to my housemates about this, apparently it’s my tea drinking habits. I’m a big fan of all kinds of tea and always remember to offer tea to anyone else in the house, we have about 5 different types so there’s plenty of choice… 

Quick Fire Questions:

Kebab or cheesy chips: recently converted to cheesy chips

Summer or winter: Winter

Love at first sight or slow burner: Slow burner

Dog or cat: Dog

Health and Fitness Deputy EditorI'm a third year English student with a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. I love healthy baking, trying new recipes and enjoy practising yoga in my free time.