HCX Campus Cutie: Alex McMinn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Name: Alex McMinn

Age: 21

Nickname: Sploogey (don’t ask)

Year: 3

This week at HCX we’ve chosen third year Biological and Medicinal Chemistry student Alex McMinn to be our Campus Cutie. He took some time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions so that we could get to know him better.

Hi Alex! First of all, can you tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Well, I actually used to be the UK under 16 Tetris number 4, which isn’t quite as glamourous as it sounds.

We bet that’s a great party fact.

It is now, sadly I didn’t used to get invited to parties because I wasn’t cool enough. Probably because I wasn’t Tetris number 1.

How do you even get into Tetris?

I’d always enjoyed it as a kid and found myself reading about techniques to improve my game. Before I knew it I was competing against other people and actually doing quite well. I don’t play it these days though, it just helps out around the house, like when the drying racks are getting a bit full.

That sounds handy! How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Well I don’t know how I would describe myself, but I got told I was ‘hottest in Arena’ (Unit 1).  That person was probably very drunk at the time, but I still enjoy reminding my friends about it on a regular basis.

Do you go out a lot then? Describe your standard night out in Exeter.

I rarely go out with anyone except ModelSoc. It’s not an official society, but me and two equally good looking friends were out one night and just decided we should be in a society for models!

Wow, so modest!

Haha I know! Pre drinks are often the best part of the night because we can be quite picky about the music we want, but once we’re in arena we spend a lot of time on the dancefloor anyway practising our moves. This is obviously followed at the end of the night by long drunk chats outside Best Kebab.

Sounds like a good night! What else do you like to do in Exeter?

I’m quite sporty, I like going to the gym and playing football. With this and my degree, it doesn’t leave a lot of time for much else. I feel like I spend the rest of my time giving people lifts to places which is one of the downsides to having a car in Exeter! But it does mean I can easily go to places like Dartmoor and Exmouth, which I love.

Well good luck for the rest of the year Alex, thanks for chatting with us!

I'm Sarah, and I'm the current Fashion and Beauty Editor at Her Campus Exeter. I have dreamed of working for a fashion magazine since I was a little girl, and am now in my third year at Exeter studying English. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and a lover of brunch, chocolate cake and the seaside.