HCX Campus Celebrity: Katie Russell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. That time when we hand over our responsibilities and choose a new committee for the next year. This week, HCX hosted our 2016 AGM where we elected a new team of editors and marketers, including our new President for 2016-17. Everyone, say hello to our new President, the lovely Katie Russell.

Name: Katie Russell

Degree: English

Year: Second

First things first, a massive congratulations for being voted HCX’s President for 2016-2017! How did you feel when you were given the position?

Thank you! I was absolutely chuffed – I wanted to jump up and down and scream but somehow managed to keep it in!

Why did you want to be HCX President?

For oh-so many reasons. But the main reason is that it’s my favourite society – I love the girls who are part of it, our socials are always a hoot and a half, and we publish hilarious content that uni girls can really relate to. I’ve been Sex & Relationships Editor this year but I wanted to get even more involved with such an amazing society, so thought I’d apply for President (never imagined I’d be lucky enough to get it!).

What plans do you have for HCX next year?

Well obviously I want to continue the amazing work of Charlotte and Emily and keep posting sassy content that empowers our female readers. But, more specifically, I want to reform the way we choose Campus Cuties and pick them either based on their style choices or on their ‘cute’ personalities (i.e. interview someone because they’re hilarious – not because they’re just pretty!).

What advice would you give to anyone thinking of joining Her Campus?

I would say definitely DO IT! I joined as a Fresher and it’s the only society I’ve stuck with throughout my time here at Exeter. All of the girls are so lovely and we always have an amazing time at our socials (where many cocktails are consumed). Plus the articles we write are really fun and a welcome break from essay deadlines and boring course stuff!

What else do you get up to in Exeter? Are you involved in any other societies?

Yes, I am officially part of Touch Rugby and Cheerleading, although I must admit that I stopped going to Touch last term because physical exercise isn’t really my strong-point… Same goes for Cheer really – let’s just say I’m more of a social member!

Great! Thanks for chatting with us Katie, and good luck with HCX next year! 

HCX Travel Editor 2015-16 Georgina is a final year Modern Languages student at the University of Exeter. Currently studying French, Spanish and Portuguese, Georgina loves to travel and has worked in Spain, France and Portugal, as well as having just travelled around South America. Full of stories, hints and tips for the keen student traveller, Georgina can't wait to get involved with HCX and help to inspire wanderlust in all of the readers.