HCX Campus Celebrity: Caroline Lang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

On 19th January Shotgun Theatre Society will open their musical production RENT. We caught up with the director of the show Caroline Lang!

Name: Caroline Lang

Year: 2

Course: English and Drama

Hi! Happy New Year! How are you feeling about the upcoming production?

Excited! Nervous though, we’ve been rehearsing 5 months now so I’m excited to actually see the outcome of all the hard work! 

Is Shotgun a new society? How did you get involved?

Um I think relatively new yes. Its a bit different from the other muscial theatre societies. We try and do a bit more ‘edgy’ pieces. I put myself up for director when I heard they were doing RENT as it’s my favourite musical!

Have you done much directing before this?

I worked on ‘Across the Universe’ at school and absolutely loved it. I also directed a show last year at the end of my first year!

How did you choose RENT?

The committee shortlisted a number of musicals and then voted on them. The team- directors, choreographers- were auditioned after that. We then audioned between just under 200 people and ended up with our cast of 17! It’s a great piece about a group of young artists struggling to survive in the East Village in New York. Its a bit different. 

Can you see yourself pursuing directing in the future?

Not sure yet! It’s definitely opened something up but we’ll see!

Come along and see Caroline’s hard work at the Phoenix between 19-22 January!

http://www.exeterphoenix.org.uk/events/rent/