HCX Campus Celebrity: Andrew Sharpe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, Her Campus Exeter got the chance to have a chat with Andrew Sharpe, a talented second-year with a love for acting. He’s got some exciting new projects on the horizon, so we couldn’t wait to have a catch-up with him and find out the secrets behind his success!

Course: French and Italian

Year: 2nd

So Andy, what productions are you currently part of at Exeter?

Well, I’m currently involved in Footlights’s Northcott show ‘Phantom of the Opera’ and Shotgun’s Term 1 show ‘Witches of Eastwick’.

Sounds like you’ve got quite a lot on your plate! What are the characters like that you’re playing?

How right you are, especially with rehearsals for my a cappella group Illuminations too – I’m quite a busy man! In ‘Phantom’ I am in the ensemble but also have the minor role of Lefevre at the start, so it’s great to get some lines and adopt a character that I can have some fun with – he’s rather aged so it’s fun working out how to play with my posture and voice etc. For ‘Witches’ I’m in the ensemble but again there’s a character attached to that, and it’s great fun finding and creating my own member of the Eastwick community to present.

Wow that does sound fun! So what got you into theatre?

I’ve always had the element of performing in my personality, I suppose. My very first production was doing the Christmas Nativity in primary school. When I found that I was able to have an effect on people through being on stage and entering another character (I was a hoot as Grandpa Snowman), it all built from there really. If I can make an audience feel happy, sad or at least entertained then I’m satisfied.

That’s a very good reason – I’m sure we would have been very entertained by your performance as Grandpa Snowman! Do you think you might consider acting as a career?

Absolutely. The plan is to audition for drama schools to perhaps do an MA in acting upon finishing my French and Italian degree here in Exeter. I’m going to work as hard as I can to make it happen!

Well, we wish you all the best in that, we are sure you’ll be fab! What advice would you give to someone who wants to be an actor – is there a secret behind being a confident performer?

Good question! I’d say that the key to being a confident performer is not showing reservations over the decisions you make about your performance. Everyone gets nervous, especially if you’re new to performing. But the important thing is to just try and go for it and make sure you’re putting in as much energy as possible. And enjoy it as well! If you’re not really into what you’re performing then the audience will know in an instant.

Thanks so much for your time, Andy. Where and when can we see you in Phantom & Witches of Eastwick?

You’re very welcome. Witches of Eastwick is being performed in Kay House (in Duryard) from 2nd-4th December and Phantom is on at the Northcott Theatre from 27th-30th January (including a Saturday Matinee) There’ll hopefully be lots of publicity nearer the time of the performances around campus and on the Facebook pages. They’re both promising to be cracking shows with wonderful casts!

I am the new President of Her Campus Exeter. Last year I was a very enthusiastic Sex & Relationships editor, and I hope to be a magazine journalist. I'm slightly addicted to Diet Coke, and running to the fridge is my idea of exercise.