HBO’s ‘Girls’: Season Premiere Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The much anticipated third season of HBO’s Girls hit our screens last week with two brand new episodes. We got our fair share of break ups, make ups, road trips and friendship dramas, but it was girls’ own unique fashion styles that really caught our eye. Who will your Girls fashion inspiration be? Warning: spoiler alert!

Hannah

On the road to recovery and back (for now) with on/off boyfriend Adam, Hannah’s styling is as eclectic as her personality. Jenn Rogien, the show’s costume designer, says “the phrase I use to describe Hannah’s style in season three is ironically the tagline from season two: Almost getting it kind of together.” Her season 3 premiere outfits consisted of clashing prints, quirky accessories, and a nod towards 60s “mod” fashion.

Get the look by mixing fitted, patterned shirts with clashing bottoms. Add brogues and a swing coat, and use “geek chic” as your guide to accessories.

[pagebreak]

Marnie

After a second break up with boyfriend Charlie, Marnie is grieving her return to singledom, making casual the name of the game when it comes to her style this season. In a great departure from her polished looks of season two, she mixes casual Breton tops with relaxed boyfriend jeans and flats.

Marnie’s looks are great fashion inspiration for everyday looks on campus. Try adding a trench coat to a striped top and some relaxed jeans. Throw on some flats and classic accessories and you’ll be a Her Campus cutie in no time.

Jessa

The Girls premiere revealed that since her dramatic departure at the end of season two, Jessa has been in rehab and is wreaking havoc amongst her fellow ‘inmates’. Fear not, while we do see Jessa in less than her Sunday best, her unpredictable, mismatched style remains. Jenn Rogien says “Jessa is the most consistent character in terms of fashion, probably because she’s never been consistent.”

To copy Jessa’s style mix patterns, textures and shapes, and pair statement vintage pieces such as a sheer kimono with basics such as a dark coloured maxi dress. Add a slick of dark lipstick and you’re ready to go.

[pagebreak] 

Shoshanna

Shosh is making the most of her break up with boyfriend Ray and is as such splitting her time between nights of “freedom” and nights of “academic focus”. So far this season we have seen her hunched over her studies in an oversized blue hoodie, and at other times exploring an even bolder, more feminine look than ever.

To steal Shosh’s style pair bright, feminine bodycon dresses with blazers and heels. Add some dainty feminine jewellery and wear your hair in a slick centre parting (sadly Shosh’s crazy do’s of the previous seasons have yet to appear).

Image Credits: www.uk.eonline.com, www.refinery29.com, www.glamour.com, www.fashionista.com