Haters gonna hate, but Autumn is here to stay!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Summer is truly over – even if last week it reached 24 degrees and you regretted not bringing that pair of shorts to University with. The season has changed, for a considerably colder and wetter one. Perhaps you are a lover of all things Autumn, or perhaps you are already reminiscing about the time you lost your tent, sleeping bag, both welly-boots, and your best mate at that festival….ah, wasn’t that a good one?

5 reasons to hate Autumn:

1)      What am I supposed to wear?

You wake up and stick your head out of the window, it’s freezing. No problem, big fury jumper, tights and boots it is today….only come 2pm, you’re dying of heat stroke as the sun has decided to come out and you seriously over dressed for the occasion, not to mention your tights are round your ankles because there is never more than a ten minute interval before you need to haul them back up to there proper position while trying not to flash the whole room…And don’t even try and tell me it’s not that hot when I’ve just speed-walked it to Campus AND struggled up Forum hill!

2)      It’s ALWAYS dark

You wake up, it’s dark. You walk to classes in the dark. You sit all day in a dark room in the basement of the library, crying into your text book about how much work you have and how stressed you are, wearing dark coloured clothes because there is no joy or hope or sunshine in your life now that summer is over. You walk home at the end of the day in the dark. You turn you light off and descend into the darkness of sleep after another dark, dark day…..

3)      It’s ALWAYS raining

‘I’ll go to Exeter’, you thought, ‘It’s the south, they’ll have good weather’. Wrong. Not only do you arrive to University in the dark, you are also now wet (and most probably too hot – but hey, maybe you’ll dry off quicker!).

4)      Christmas starts in September

Apparently the beginning of September is now officially the start of the Christmas countdown, with advertisements appearing in shop windows right, left, and centre. Before we know it they’ll be selling Easter eggs on New Year’s Day. Please, I beg you,  DON’T RUIN THE MAGIC BY PEAKING TO EARLY!!

5)      If I see ONE MORE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE

-actually, wait. You’d have to be crazy not to love a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Are you allergic to cinnamon or something?!

5 reasons to love Autumn:

1)      When did the trees get so pretty?

You discover a new love of nature as your morning walk to campus becomes a colourful display of bright gold, fiery red and burning orange as the leaves start their autumnal costume change. Good job, world – I even brought my disposable cup for my Pumpkin Spice Latte today! Thinking of you always xx

2)      Tights are officially back in season

So wonderfully cosy, and they look great with boots – just make sure you pull them up to at least nipple height to prevent any falling down (for about half an hour at least, anyway). The tight and pixie boot combo is a look we don’t ever want to go out of style!

3)       Hibernation instincts you didn’t even know you had…

Forget running around muddy fields in just welly-boots and a bikini, autumn is all about curling up on the sofa with a big blanket, the fairy lights on, and your favourite book or film (not forgetting those autumn drinks!). Need some help? Check out our favourite Summer reads on the Instagram page.

4)      THE FOOD

Speaking of hibernating instincts…If you needed an excuse to indulge in all things delicious, autumn was made for you. Call it preparation for the cold winter nights with a little extra insulation, or simply just enjoy all the foodie opportunities that arrive with October – Thanksgiving, Halloween, Bonfire night, and of course the run up to Christmas. From comforting curries to a chocolate orange cake for Bonfire Night, Autumn is the time to feast and enjoy.

5)      THE DRINK

Do you find yourself watching the coffee shops like a hawk as soon as September kicks in, waiting for that first announcement for the Pumpkin Spice Latte, or the Bonfire Hot Chocolate? There’s no better way to cheer up a rainy autumn afternoon than with the heart-warming flavours of our favourite coffee shops, and don’t forget your keep-cup!

(P.S. This post was not sponsored by Pumkin Spice Latte – but hey, Costa, I’m open for business, and would greatly appreciate any help not spend my entire student loan on your Autumn drinks range….)

Exeter University Student, studying English Literature and Spanish Athlete and Foodie (see @what.katie.does98 on Instagram) The future Kate Addie...