This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Christmas is fast approaching, and if (like me) you haven’t gotten any Christmas cards yet, then why not try making some at home this year?

washi tape drawings

One thing every uni student has lying around is washi tape! This is a really simple yet effective design. All you need to do is sick washi tape onto the cards in your design, and it’s done! One design you could make is Christmas presents. Stick the tape in rows until you have a present-shaped design, and draw a bow on top – it literally can’t get easier than that! Another design you could try is a Christmas tree. Start from the bottom down and stick rows of tape, getting smaller as you go up, forming a tree shape. Make sure you remember to have a little tree stump at the bottom. Could you draw a star or an angel for the top? If you have some festive-themed tape, you could also make a card by covering the front in washi tape and using it as a background to write your greetings on top of!

christmas tree embroidery

For this card, you will need – a card, wool, a needle, a pencil, and tape. This card is amazing because it can accommodate all skill levels!

For an easier version, what you need to do is draw (with a pencil so you can erase it later) a Christmas tree-shaped triangle and with your needle, poke holes around the lines so you have a guide for where to put your thread. Now you should thread your wool and sew from one random point in the triangle to another until the triangle is filled. Make sure you start from the inside of the card so the end tail is covered. If you want to make it extra festive try using a different colour thread and thread it horizontally across the triangle so it looks like tinsel. Once you’ve finished with one colour of wool, make sure to tie it off and tape it to the inside of the card, so it doesn’t get loose! For a harder version, why not use the same process but with a more complicated design with even more colours?

potato stamps

Who doesn’t love a good potato stamping session? It’s an absolute classic, sure to bring back some childhood nostalgia – and to make it even better, it’s the perfect way to use up all your potatoes before going home for the holidays. For this card, you will need – a card, some paint, a knife (or something to cut the potatoes with) and of course some potatoes! There are so many different designs you could make with this. A Christmas present, a Christmas tree, a snowflake, or if you’re feeling adventurous, then maybe even a reindeer. If you’re struggling to cut a shape with the potato, then simply chop it in half and make some baubles or a Christmas pudding!

finger print tree lights

Continuing the nostalgia, we have finger printing! For this card you will need a black felt tip, coloured paints and your fingers! With your felt tip, start by drawing a squiggly line like a cable – this can be landscape or portrait and you could even do more than one row if you want. Now for the fun part, dip your finger tip in the paint and press it onto the card – just below the line so you can use the pen again to draw the end of the lightbulb. If you like the design like that then you’re all done but what you could do is strategically place the lightbulbs across the page so that you can write a message in them. Why not try “MERRY XMAS” or if the cards big enough “SEASONS GREETINGS”. Let your creativity flow!

Hi! My name's India and I'm this year's Sex and Relationships editor! I'm in my third-year of Film and Television studies at the University of Exeter. I'm a plus-sized and sex-positive feminist who loves listening to Harry Styles and Taylor Swift (Taylor's version ofc) :)