Halloween – Top 5 Events in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As students, it’s safe to assume we often don’t need much of a reason to dress up in costume for a night out, but once a year, Halloween provides us with the perfect excuse to go all out with costumes, face paint, hair spray and fake blood. And although our days of ‘Trick or Treating’ the neighbours with our parents watching from a ‘safe distance’ may be over, the fun of Halloween is definitely not. Her Campus has had a look around, and has found 5 of the events in Exeter we recommend for a great Halloween!

1. TIMEPIECE is hosting its THRILLER NIGHT on Tuesday the 30th. Get creative with your costumes as they have a whole host of prizes for the best dressed, including digital cameras for the 4 best zombie’s; definitely worth braving the fake blood and face paint! With the promise of stash giveaways, great DJ’s, free ‘blood shots’ and the prospect of Thriller / Gangnam dance-off, it is set to be a huge night, and an opportunity to see Timepiece not on a Wednesday social.. Its convenient timing on the Tuesday, and also means you have the chance to have a second Halloween night on the 31st October itself, whether it be a house party, horror movie night, or a trip to Arena.

2. As I’m sure you’ve all seen, scattered all over Facebook, our old friends at Original Sin have not let us down with shouting about events this holiday. On Wednesday the 31st, BVG PRESENTS the HAUNTED CASTLE HALLOWE’EN BALL, at Exeter Castle. Although a slightly pricier ticket than Timepiece, the Haunted Ball is boasting to be Exeter’s ‘biggest Halloween student event’, offering a court yard hog roast, a fully stocked bar, DJ Thornts in the ballroom, a range of Exeter’s finest live acts, and even VIP champagne reception to start your fright night in style!

3. A rival ball is also being held at the Exeter Phoenix; the ZOMBIE BALL. As with all other events, costumes are of course required! This event has become more and more popular over recent years, following the annual Exeter Zombie Walk through the town center in the afternoon, and providing you with a whole range of local and national bands, and various DJ’s throughout the night to suit everyone’s tastes.

4. Arena will of course also be stepping up to the plate, and having a Halloween Fancy Dress Special on the Wednesday night, if you need a cheaper option than either of the balls, or if you just can’t get enough of Arena. Special Halloween drinks deals and ‘Smoking Cauldron Cocktails will be available throughout the night, and once again as the name suggests, costumes are a must!

5. And last, but by no means least, our very own Lemon Grove is hosting a student-only Halloween UV Paint Party. Not for the faint hearted, it is set to be a very messy night as the Lemmy is putting on drink deals, and installing paint cannons specially… So if you want the chance to win a Black Card, enter the costume competition early!

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.