Golden Globes 2014: Hair and Make-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As this was the first major awards show of the season, the hair and make-up looks modelled by various actresses and celebrities did not disappoint. From the fashion-forward to the more traditional choices, here are some of the top beauty trends sported on the night.

• SLEEK AND SPORTY

Hayden Panettiere modelled a more understated look with her blonde bob sleeked back into a sporty look. Emma Roberts also sported a simple hairstyle with her hair pulled back into a straight pony tail. This concept of a no fuss approach to hair was also showcased by Emma Watson whose hair was styled into a low bun. All of these sleek looks allowed the attention to be on the dresses and statement earrings.

• UP-DO

The up-do can viewed as the traditional go-to hair style for any red carpet event and this was no exception. At the Golden Globes, there were various takes on this style from the elegant to the more quirky. Amy Adams’ carefully braided and detailed look completed her polished appearance. Mila Kunis again modelled a minimal fuss sleek low bun. Paired with dramatic eyes but otherwise bare make-up, this was a very graceful look.

• YOUTHFUL AND ORIGINAL

Jennifer Lawrence’s striking cropped pixie cut stood out from other familiar looks. The various tones of blonde and brunette running through her hair beautifully contrasted each other to create an original and youthful look.

• OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAMOUR

This is becoming the style which Taylor Swift regularly adopts for red carpet events. With her hair pinned up and waved in the style of a sophisticated bob, Taylor Swift channelled the ‘Old Hollywood Glamour’ look perfectly. Teamed with red lips and carefully defined eyes, this look was elegant. Cate Blanchett also had her hair styled into a faux bob, however while Taylor Swifts’ look was more Marilyn Monroe, the inspiration behind Cate Blanchett’s look was Grace Kelly’s famous bob. This sleek and sculpted look framed her face delicately and complemented her incredible Armani gown.

• ON TREND

Olivia Wilde showed how the ombré look is here to stay. This hairstyle looked effortless and simple in smooth waves parted to the side. Another look which stood out was the dramatic hairstyle sported by Amber Heard. This bed-head messy up-do contrasted to the more structured looks modelled by other celebrities. Paired with a smokey eye, this look was finished perfectly in an effortless style.

• LIPS

Many opted for a traditional eye catching scarlet lip. Other variations of this look were modelled by Jennifer Lawrence who opted for a deep plum lip while Drew Barrymore went for a bright cherry red and Sandra Bullock matched her lipstick to the sugary pink hue of her evening dress. 

• SUBTLE AND SIMPLE

The majority of the make-up looks were simple so that the hair and dresses were able to take centre-stage. Hints of shimmering shadows and nude lips on glowing skin created a very understated and flawless appearance.

Image Credits: stylebistro.com