Going Steady…On Facebook; Relationship Maker or Breaker?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX is not going to sit here and lecture you on the damaging aspects of social networking; that’s a job for your parents, who understand the obsession about as much as we do a telegram. We would also be denying our own avid love of Facebook, Twitter, and even Bebo from back in the day. However, there is one aspect of your life which could benefit from being kept private, rather than being posted all over the newsfeeds of your many online friends: your love life.

While I’m sure it’s fantastic that you and your man have made the commitment of becoming a couple, changing your relationship status to ‘in a relationship with…’, writing a status about it involving far too many <3 <3 <3's, or posting a lovey-dovey photo is not to be recommended. Not only is it mildly sickening for those who are still single and have to deal with this appearing on their homepage (which it definitely will, thanks to the obscene number of likes that it will gather from all the other 'Facebook official’ couples), but it may actually come back to haunt you...

Although right now it may be an inconceivable notion that you and your loved one may not get married and have hundreds of teeny adorable babies, who will be the perfect mix of both you and him, there is a small chance that this fairytale will not come true. And if this does happen, getting dumped on Facebook is another slap in the face to deal with on top of the disaster that is the break up itself.

There will also be copious amount of couple photos that have been uploaded to deal with, including the typical dinner shots; with you sat at the table with your glass of wine, him with his beer, then both of you grinning over a shared pizza. Then theres the kissing snap (which obviously was totally natural and didn’t take a hundred attempts until you took one where you both looked attractive) and the classic holiday picture which you probably forced some poor younger sibling or unsuspecting passerby to take. Not only should everyone, or atleast everyone that matters, know that you are in a relationship, but you may find yourself sadly going though these photos post-break up; and there more that there are to look at, the longer the torturous process will be.

So, when you’re next in the process of requesting that your guy accepts you as his Facebook girlfriend, have a think: do you want everyone to see the intimate details of your private life? And will you really want to be able to see them yourself if this doesn’t work out?

Photo Credits: marcellapurnama.wordpress.com

2nd year English Lit student.